Joe4d

Hunting with 300 BLK

energy wise this round seems to split difference between a 357 mag carbine and a 30/30,, so given a decent bullet should be fine for inside 100 yard deer and pigs.
    And there lies the rub,,, decent bullet.
    I am new to non issue AR's built a 300,, shot it today,, Prefered remington 120 gr OTFB, Fiochi 220gr FMJ,, ( although 6 inches lower at 50 yards.) and Magtech 123gr FMJ,,, all produced ragged 1 hole groups at 50,, but different POI.
    Other loads tried but not impressed with were the Hornady Sub X 190 gr, and S&B 200gr FMJ,,, those grouped about 3" at 50. Granted this is brand new barrel and groups did get tighter as I shot.
    My original plan was to zero and blast with the S&B and use the 190 gr HDY as my main rounds,, but when I switched to the REM 120's and cut the 1 hole group made me reconsider. Soooo wondering which way to go,,, Obviously none of the rounds other than the HDY are meant for living targets.

Am waiting on can approval,,, Intended use of gun will be bugout truck gun, Fox, deer, pigs, all inside 100 meters. I do have a 300 BLK compensated reticle scope,, just started playing with it. Would like to lay up couple k rounds. Pretty much selling everything and want to only keep a couple handguns, a rifle and shotgun.

So for those who have hunted with 300 BLK what kinda ammo do you like ?

Hornady 125 grain SST is a great bullet for .300 BO.

I’ve been shooting the predecessor to this round (300 Whisper) for 25+ years, and also hunt with an AR chambered in .300 BO.

This guy has some great Blackout ammo (it’s what I shoot):

https://dallasreloads.com/product/12...n-hornady-sst/

Chad’s main Whitetail round is .300 BO, and he has spent a lot of time developing the perfect round for the caliber. He is also a great guy to chat with if you have questions. Very knowledgeable and willing to share his wisdom.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

I've killed a couple deer with Team Never Quit 125 Gain, I found it at Cabela's. It has a ballistic tip and groups really well in my spike's tacticle. The deer I've killed haven't bled much but went down quick. Neither had an exit hole, the bullet comes apart and destroyed the chest cavity on one of the big does. I will say it's great for critter control too. I've killed multiple muskrats, beavers, otters and coyotes. No hogs around here but i'd imagine it'd be great for them as well. All in all I like the caliber for a truck gun used for 100 yards and in. I need to get a can for mine as well. Would be a blast to shoot with the sub-sonic ammo.
    2014 Nitro Z7 150 Pro XS

4. Joe4d
    Thanks, I'll look into the Hdy SST',, although the bit I have read leads me to believe the bullets are a bit fragile.. Like the ones you mentioned not exiting and coming apart. Not something I think would be good for a hunting bullet.
    Speer has a 130 Gr Hot core I think was originally made for 30/30,, One of the big online reloaders has bulk ammo loaded with it will try that as well.
    Seems to me something in the 147-150 gr area would have a better sectional density to aid penetration, but short enough to leave some powder room. Hopefully as the round gains popularity some more bullets will come out.

5. Joe4d
    Might get a box of these guys see how they group. Federal also has a copper Barns X bullet type round they advertise for medium game.
    https://www.federalpremium.com/produ...-msr/f300bmsr2

6. Georgia Bass Club Moderator fishnfool38's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe4d View Post
    Thanks, I'll look into the Hdy SST',, although the bit I have read leads me to believe the bullets are a bit fragile.. Like the ones you mentioned not exiting and coming apart. Not something I think would be good for a hunting bullet.
    Speer has a 130 Gr Hot core I think was originally made for 30/30,, One of the big online reloaders has bulk ammo loaded with it will try that as well.
    Seems to me something in the 147-150 gr area would have a better sectional density to aid penetration, but short enough to leave some powder room. Hopefully as the round gains popularity some more bullets will come out.
    I'm shooting 165gr SST Hornady Superformance out of a 24" 30-06. Muzzle velocity at or above 2960 fps never chrono'd it but I think they state muzzle velocity based on 22" barrels. I've not had any problems and my gun loves the load.
    A blackout will not produce enough rpm on that load to cause it to come apart. With that said I know someone shooting subsonic with a can and it doesn't open the bullet. I'm not sure about your barrel twist most are 1 in 8 but don't think you have to worry about SST bullet separation with a 300 blackout.

I just built my first 300 pistol and plan to use it this season for deer. My research kept pointing me to Barnes Vor-Tx 110gr. These are not subs, but a can is way off in the distance for me. At least right now.

For deer I am shooting the 130gr Barnes. Exit hole the size of a silver dollar and drop in tracks or run short distance. I'm shooting factory right now, box says Hoghammer. I use Barnes for all my deer hunting from 243 to muzzleloader, very destructive bullet.

I wanted to love the 300BLK, but after a ton of research, I decided it's a solution in search of a problem.

designed to be a suppressed round, but if you shoot subsonic rounds they have the energy of a 45ACP.

I regular 5.56 has as much energy as the super sonic rounds.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

10. Joe4d
    At the muzzle, but the long thin bullet retains energy down range plus better penetration. But you are correct, its not a lightning bolt. Just something to play with. I just wanted to build an AR for entertainment purposes. So far I like it. Gonna be fun with the can I suspect.
    Thanks about the Barnes,,, Ive used X bullets before in my 45/70.
    Think I will try a box of those and a box of the Federals... Probably same bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill2e View Post
    I wanted to love the 300BLK, but after a ton of research, I decided it's a solution in search of a problem.

designed to be a suppressed round, but if you shoot subsonic rounds they have the energy of a 45ACP.

I regular 5.56 has as much energy as the super sonic rounds.
    Blasphemy! Using this theory, a man would only need a couple of firearms to get by in life.

12. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adchunts View Post
    Hornady 125 grain SST is a great bullet for .300 BO.

I’ve been shooting the predecessor to this round (300 Whisper) for 25+ years, and also hunt with an AR chambered in .300 BO.

This guy has some great Blackout ammo (it’s what I shoot):

https://dallasreloads.com/product/12...n-hornady-sst/

Chad’s main Whitetail round is .300 BO, and he has spent a lot of time developing the perfect round for the caliber. He is also a great guy to chat with if you have questions. Very knowledgeable and willing to share his wisdom.
    Been using this exact round for sometime now. Hog and coyote killing machine. I'm sure with that weight of bullet it would be a highly successful deer round.

300 BO- 125 Grain SST.jpg
    Last edited by Gamblinman; 09-23-2018 at 08:33 AM.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

13. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    125 grain nosler ballistic tip over H110. 100 yards and under,,done deal.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

14. Member
    I have used the Barnes BlackTip 110 grain TTX successfully on hogs and deer for years.
    2018 Ranger Z185
    Yamaha 150 SHO w/ Tempest 23P
    Ultrex 80 Link
    Helix 10MDI & 12MSI G2N at console
    Helix 10 M+DI G4N w/ M360 and Garmin 93 w/ LiveScope at bow
    Atlas Jackplate
    12' Talons