Thumbs Up School me on Etecs

Hey all,

I'm looking into buying my buddies boat and its got a 2008 150 HP ETEC H.O. hung on the back. I've used this boat with him and the motor is smooth, strong, quiet and good on fuel.

He runs his boat hard (usually he is wide open) but also always has proper maintenance done and always used the XD-100 oil in it. I am not sure on hours but I would guess less than 50 a year.

I just don't know anything about Etecs as my current outboard is 1996 Mercury XR6 150 HP) and my previous boat had a 150 HP Fast strike that FAR outperformed my current Mercury.

What are some things to look for on the Etec (common wear items, some common problems, etc)

What is some typical maintenance these outboards require ?

How are the lower units on these motors (I've heard lots of dock talk in the past about these lower units on etecs not being very good)

One thing that worries me is that he said he "pulled the "pee hole" nozzle out as it would always beep in weeds and now it can go thorugh thick weeds and such"...is this a common "hack" for these motors ?

I have noticed in the past when fishing out of Etec boats they tend to clog and lose PSI in thick grass compared to my current motor.

Any and all input is appreciated!

Thanks!
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

2. Member
    If you have that many questions just don’t it.

Quote Originally Posted by LMG View Post
    If you have that many questions just don’t it.
    If you're going to be a dick just don't comment. I am just looking for some simple information on these motors as I don't typically follow the Evinrude forums as I currently have a Mercury product on my boat.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    The 2008 has the new injectors on them, there are normal wear items on it plugs, water pump, filters etc. The gear cases are solid on the 60* Etecs, the old lightning cases had problems with the torque of the big block motors. There are optional high flow water intakes that can be installed on the cases. I haven't heard of the "hack" by removing the tell tale to alleviate an issue. Have a trained Evinrude tech check it out and pull an engine report. Hope this helps.

thanks ChampioNman this is what I was looking for!

What filters does a motor like this typically have? Just a single fuel filter or are there a series of them like on an HPDI ?

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    There is a fuel filter prior to the fuel lift pump and there may be a filter on the VST tank depending on the number of it. You should always run XD-100 oil in it. You don't have the hidden filters on the ETEC like you do on the HPDI motors.

thanks!