2004 225 2 stroke beeps once and dies.

Serial Number OT959745

I got myself in to a project. I purchased a 2004 Nitro with this Mercury 225 that had been setting under a tree for about 5 years. I got it running but now i get a single beep the motor spudders but continues to run for second then another single beep it dies and a series of beeps. ( beep motor dies, beep...beep...beep). I have replaced the plugs, fuel pump, over heat sensor, impeller (twice), confirmed oil is pumping, confirmed oil tank sensor worked, and changed water separator, twice. I'm out of options please help.
    Last edited by Bassbuddy10; 09-19-2018 at 07:27 PM.

Welcome to BBC!

Serial number of the motor will be needed for the experts to chime in.

See this thread: My Warning Horn went BEEP!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    The Serial# is OT959745. I went to the suggested thread, No helpful info.
    Last edited by Bassbuddy10; 09-19-2018 at 01:02 PM.

4. Banned
    You drained out ALL of the old fuel?

5. Member
    Yes, I drained and cleaned from tank to injector rail. It ran good the one time I took it out. The next run this started.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassbuddy10 View Post
    The Serial# is OT959745. I went to the suggested thread, No helpful info.
    Sure there is....

Your boat motor is no different than your car or truck. If the "check engine" light comes on, then you have to get the codes read with a scanner to know the cause for the light.

If your boat motor "alarms", then you have to get the faults read with a scan tool/CDS, to find the reason for the alarm. There is no other way to accurately determine the cause for the alarm.

7. Member
    You're right, I'm just trying to save some $$$. I thought maybe there was an easier answer.

8. Member
    Nope.

9. Member
    Not having codes read could certainly be the more expensive and frustrating answer as you buy and install parts hoping to solve the problem. Engine sitting for 5yrs is not at all good for the injectors and rails...
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The two items you could check on your own:

-Battery and Terminal Connections (Battery exceeds rating, Engine cables installed FIRST, remaining lugs Largest to Smallest, Finish off with Stainless Locknut- NO Wing-nuts)

-Cannon Plug (keyswitch harness connector): Verify clean pins, carefully spread male pins with exacto knife, reconnect and lock into retainer to prevent vibration.

Beyond this- follow the info in the link provided earlier: My Warning Horn went BEEP!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor