Ok- so how should this spare mount look

Obviously, this isn't the OEM configuration! Pretty sure EZ Loader didn't spec a used lawnmower deck pulley and a used 4" grinder wheel as their hold down mechanism.

I bought the boat a few weeks ago and have been working on other issues. Now I have the replacement spare tire and will get it mounted this weekend. Don't want to reinstall the ghetto-fab setup, but not 100% sure what my options are for a replacement hold-down. Most of what I'm seeing is the u-bolt style that's designed to mount around a 3" box frame tube. All I have is the center bolt that you see coming up through the center.

I also want something I can lock without having to invest in some janky cable.

Ideas?

Attached Images Attached Images

Not sure what your wheel is bolted to, but I would just use a cable to lock it to the trailer. No matter what you use, it can be removed by a determined crook with good cordless tools.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

I'd dump the Ghetto-Fab (lol) and go with the frame mount and a locking lug nut. Much easier to get to when needed. Also a tire cover will make it last longer too.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

4. Member
    I have an EZ Loader trailer and on mine the bolt goes thru one of the lug bolt holes of the wheel and then is held with just a nut. I added a lock on top. See picture, hopefully it comes in.

w
    I took this late and it was getting dark. Tomorrow I can remove the tire and get a picture of the bracket mounting if you want.
    Last edited by ncredbear; 09-19-2018 at 07:44 PM.

5. Member
    Wow - thanks man - It makes perfect sense now. Reading this gave me one of those facepalm, "why didn't I think of that" moments. Yeah - that's exactly how mine should be I bet.

Quote Originally Posted by ncredbear View Post
    I have an EZ Loader trailer and on mine the bolt goes thru one of the lug bolt holes of the wheel and then is held with just a nut. I added a lock on top. See picture, hopefully it comes in.

w
    I took this late and it was getting dark. Tomorrow I can remove the tire and get a picture of the bracket mounting if you want.

6. Member
    One good hammer blow and that wheel will have a new address. Get some aluminum wheels. There are U bolts sold that should allow you to bolt a spare to the frame.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ncredbear View Post

w
    What kind of lock is that.? Is it threaded.?

8. Member
    Ok it had been a while since I had taken the spare tire loose. On mine it is actually a J-bolt and apparently made/from Fulton. The lock is Fulton and works specifically with the bolt. See the pictures below. The J-bolt has a lug nut that holds the tire. Then on the bolt, as you can see, there is a groove cut just below the end that a pin in the lock engages. The bottom picture shows the J-bolt, nut, and lock. The top pic shows the nut on the J-bolt and the bolt just starting into the lock but not yet fully engaged. You can see the groove where the lock pin will engage the bolt.

This is the way the boat and trailer came, with the J-bolt and lock, when I bought the boat new.
    Last edited by ncredbear; 09-21-2018 at 06:14 PM.

9. Member
    Thanks for the info - I haven't had a chance to pull mine off yet, but I'm not expecting to find that setup - mine appears to just be a long bolt through the carrier to thru the wheel with the home-brewed retention system. I might look one of those up though - I'm not keen on mounting the spare upright hung off of one of the framerails, I kinda like it where it is.

10. Member
    Yes J bolt is the only way to go. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Rocket

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky View Post
    Thanks for the info - I haven't had a chance to pull mine off yet, but I'm not expecting to find that setup - mine appears to just be a long bolt through the carrier to thru the wheel with the home-brewed retention system. I might look one of those up though - I'm not keen on mounting the spare upright hung off of one of the framerails, I kinda like it where it is.
    Speaking of frame rail mounts: A tire mounted on the side frame comes in handy when stepping from the boat to the trailer to hook to the winch just by stepping on the tire and then on the trailer.
    Rocket

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 375VTROCKET View Post
    Speaking of frame rail mounts: A tire mounted on the side frame comes in handy when stepping from the boat to the trailer to hook to the winch just by stepping on the tire and then on the trailer.
    That is exactly what I use mine for, but at my advanced age I try to be very careful.