Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    WOW, I'm glad some of you are not my neighbor. A dog is being overly friendly so you want to poison it or take it for a ride into the country, what is wrong with you. Just talk to your new neighbors like a normal person would. No need to wonder what to do if they don't take care of the issue until they don't.
    Wow, common sense? Rare in this thread. Perfect answer, here's a cold one for you

Dale Sinclair original

Quote Originally Posted by jbassman87 View Post
    Talk to the neighbors about it. The best way to teach a dog not to jump on you, is a knee to the chest as they start to jump. Couple times getting put on their backside usually cures the jumping.

Wrong---- step on the toes of the back legs.

KmcClure

Take the dog out and drop it in the country?????? Since we had 10-12 dogs all the time on the farm from people doing that----- How about the farmers stopping by your house ( when you are at work) and letting 10-15 sows lounge in your house until you get back home?

3. Member
    Bassman has it right just step on its back feet not to hard and after a couple of times all you will have to do is put your foot out and it will put its head down looking at what your foot is going to do. It may jump in front of you but it wont make contact. Sounds like you have a new dog in the family as your child plays with theirs and a dog knows no difference as the owners have NOT trained it.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    Wrong---- step on the toes of the back legs.

KmcClure

Take the dog out and drop it in the country?????? Since we had 10-12 dogs all the time on the farm from people doing that----- How about the farmers stopping by your house ( when you are at work) and letting 10-15 sows lounge in your house until you get back home?
    That’s not even relevant but nice try. You’re aware that’s breaking the law right? You’re telling the op to commit a crime correct? You’re basically complaining that people did it to you but are you telling him to do that? I’m not sure I read your reply correct

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stratofast View Post
    Bassman has it right just step on its back feet not to hard and after a couple of times all you will have to do is put your foot out and it will put its head down looking at what your foot is going to do. It may jump in front of you but it wont make contact. Sounds like you have a new dog in the family as your child plays with theirs and a dog knows no difference as the owners have NOT trained it.
    This is correct i have a boxer that used to do the same this is exactly how i corrected the issue. Best to keep piece with the neighbors especially when kids enjoy playing with each other. Simply because the kids will still be playing with eachother and parents will be fueding
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

Quote Originally Posted by KMcClure View Post
    That’s not even relevant but nice try. You’re aware that’s breaking the law right? You’re telling the op to commit a crime correct? You’re basically complaining that people did it to you but are you telling him to do that? I’m not sure I read your reply correct
    NOOO YOU used catjuggling Quote in your post. You C&P it instead of clicking reply with with quote. WHICH made it look like you wrote---- take em for a ride out in the country.--- English language is complicated---- with some work you will master it.

7. Member
    Talk first.
    If that doesn't work, get you a hot shot. Be prepared for the dog to jump and light him up when he leaves the ground. Say "Off" in a stout voice at the same time. He'll figure out the rest pretty fast. You could zap him when he steps in your yard and say "Away" too, keep him out of your yard completely. Either you won't see him again or he'll have way better manners. Don't let anybody see you, no telling how they would construe said training methods.
    2018 Xpress H20 Bay
    Got it finally! Pictures soon to come...

8. Member
    We had exact problem with our neighbors; nice folks, got along with them well, but they have 3 dogs over 80 pounds that absolutely run wild! (Suburban area with leash laws)
    -
    The dogs ran in our house and jumped on me with muddy paws going to work a couple times. After several of the dog owners, “Sorry man!” Problem still persisted.
    -
    Clearly they have the kind of house where “Sorry” forgives everything. No need to correct behavior, just drop a couple “Sorry”s.......and all’s forgiven. (I’m talking people AND pets behavior)
    -
    After a couple talks with the neighbor and his promises to change things, nothing changed.
    -
    So I resorted to the exlax in the hotdog trick. I hated to do it; but after a couple of times doing it and a couple of carpet cleaning trucks in their driveway; the problem stopped.
    -
    Like I said; nice folks........but some people just ........don’t .......get it..........until it adversly effects them, of course.

May need to let him get in your pool to cool him off....
    2013 Pre-Johnny Ranger RT 178
    115 PRO XS
    Due to the increase of ammunition prices... There will be no warning shots
    Honda certified Master technician 33 Years

10. Member
    Tell them it's a sweet dog, but no thanks. ONE, they need to train it. TWO they need to keep it in THEIR yard.

Then THREE..... Take them your dry cleaning bill, along with the business card from Animal Control. No need to say anything after that. They'll get the message.
    Of course you could carry dog spray like the postman, but that'll likely get the neighbors ticked at you. Although.... if it's in YOUR HOUSE all it'll do is make the dog leave. Once it gets a taste of that a couple times it'll be smart enough to not make that mistake again.

Trust me, Animal Control won't come get it if it's just running around. They want YOU to have 'captured' it. Then they'll be more than happy to take it off your hands. That too will REALLY tick off your neighbors. I did however have Animal Control go talk to my neighbors (that used to live next door) a couple times and no more dog problems.

I can't STAND folks that don't train their dogs. Both yard manners, and especially leash manners. See folks walking dogs that are all over the place, pulling left and right, way out front, sniffing everything in sight. That's just uncalled for. Not to mention unsafe for both the dog as well as others. Dogs should walk on your left side, period. We have a 78# female Doberman and she'll walk without a leash (or with it laying on her back) anywhere, anytime, and never get more than arms reach from my left leg. She learned that as a pup. *Actually all my dogs have been trained the same way, also in German if that helps.* ;-)

Dogs are pack animals, all they are trying to do is figure out THEIR PLACE in the pack. Obviously this family hasn't figured out what their own place is, much less the dog. You can have two dogs in a family that get along great, then introduce a third and guess what, they'll all fight till THEY figure out what the pecking order is. It might be the one that was already 'top dog' or it might be the new one, don't know until they figure it out. The KEY however is that they all know that EVERY human is higher in the pecking order than they are, even the 2 year old toddler. (With the exception being guard and/or attack dogs of course.) I've known many Canine Officers in my years of owning Dobermans, and have trained with them in the past. Where I draw the line though is jumping over fences, and/or attacking/biting. That's just not something that 77 pounds of muscle with teeth on the end needs in a home environment, EVER!

Teaching them the pecking order though.... actually makes it less stressful for the animal. They are the only beings that love unconditionally, from birth till death. They just need to know, (or be trained by intelligent humans) what their place is. Once they have it, they'll happily carry on.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 4 Color Flake
    250 Pro XS, SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12" w/Hole shot plate
    NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Remote Lighting Control
    HDS Gen 3's, TotalScan, 3DSS
    Red Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

11. Banned