Garmin 94SV CV51

Ive seen lots of threads on this but seems to unclear. How do Garmin users feel this will be for freshwater bass applications (I realize this comes pre-loaded with coastal maps and CV51 ducer). Can they be networked and use one lakevu map card to display freshwater lake maps on both units, or will I have to buy two cards? How will the graphing be in freshwater...20-40...drop shotting smallmouth etc (video game fishing)..
    1999 Champion 186 SC/DC Tournament
    1999 Mercury EFI 150hp

2. Member
    The 2d will be excellent for dropshotting.

You'll give up some down/sidevision detail, but scanning distance will be greater

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
    The 2d will be excellent for dropshotting.

You'll give up some down/sidevision detail, but scanning distance will be greater
    Mr Brody, why would the OP give up detail, but gain scanning distance with sidevu and clearvu, on the cv51

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MybestfriendRockie View Post
    Mr Brody, why would the OP give up detail, but gain scanning distance with sidevu and clearvu, on the cv51
    The 51 uses 455khz and 260khz frequencies which are better for scanning longer/deeper distances. The more freshwater-geared CV52 also uses 455 but also 800 that shows more detail in shallower water.

My 51 can scan long distances but if you zoomed in on the image the detail is lacking. I have a picture of this in the garmin screenshots/image forum.

5. Member
    The 51 uses 455khz and 260khz frequencies which are better for scanning longer/deeper distances. The more freshwater-geared CV52 also uses 455 but also 800 that shows more detail in shallower water.

My 51 can scan long distances but if you zoomed in on the image the detail is lacking. I have a picture of this in the garmin screenshots/image forum.
    Yes that’s why I got confused your shallow water shot with your 51 I though was very detailed for as far out as you were scanning to each side. I wish they weren’t so long but it is what it is haha

6. Member
    great for finding structure

7. Member
    Thanks Brody. Drop shot is a win (do a lot of it). So scanning 80-100 ft out a side will be problematic?
    1999 Mercury EFI 150hp

8. Member
    Oh, definitely. You wouldnt use sidescanning on any brand of unit for dropshotting, only for finding structure that has potential for it.

Step 1: Scan with SI or DI to look for structure.
    Step 2: Drive to structure til its within casting/drifting distance
    Step 3: Drop shot
    Step 4: Hopefully boat fish

2D can be used once over a piece of structure to get a better idea of any fish present

Was this your question, or did i completely miss it?

9. Member
    Oh, definitely. You wouldnt use sidescanning on any brand of unit for dropshotting, only for finding structure that has potential for it.

Step 1: Scan with SI or DI to look for structure.
    Step 2: Drive to structure til its within casting/drifting distance
    Step 3: Drop shot
    Step 4: Hopefully boat fish

2D can be used once over a piece of structure to get a better idea of any fish present

Was this your question, or did i completely miss it?
    haha, whiff!

My question was in regard to the SI. As the ducer is meant for deeper water so I was curious how bad it would hurt my side imaging at say 80-100 feet each side.
    1999 Mercury EFI 150hp

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TL16 View Post
    How do Garmin users feel this will be for freshwater bass applications
    So I am assuming when you say bass you mean around 30 ft deep or less. The level of detail depends on the front to back cone angle. The smaller the more detailed. I don't know about the CV transducers but they should be the same as the GT.
    GT51 on 260 2.0 degrees
    GT51 on 455 1.4 degrees
    GT50 on 455 1.1 degrees
    GT50 on 800 0.7 degrees
    IMO the range of 100 ft would not be a factor for any of these at any of the frequencies
    The GT51 on 260 kHz in 30 FOW and less, IMO does not give satisfactory detail.

Can they be networked and use one lakevu map card to display freshwater lake maps on both units
    No. You didn't say whether these were CHIRP units or PLUS units. The CHIRP units can't be networked for sonar or charts. The Plus units can be networked for sonar.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    So I am assuming when you say bass you mean around 30 ft deep or less. The level of detail depends on the front to back cone angle. The smaller the more detailed. I don't know about the CV transducers but they should be the same as the GT.
    GT51 on 260 2.0 degrees
    GT51 on 455 1.4 degrees
    GT50 on 455 1.1 degrees
    GT50 on 800 0.7 degrees
    IMO the range of 100 ft would not be a factor for any of these at any of the frequencies

No. You didn't say whether these were CHIRP units or PLUS units. The CHIRP units can't be networked for sonar or charts. The Plus units can be networked for sonar.
    Chirp Units. Typically, wont be scanning less than 80 foot a side so it seems the 94sv should be fine.
    1999 Mercury EFI 150hp

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    Definately agree.