astro purchase question

ok guys i have a delema i am looking to buy another astro since i stupidly sold mine last year and regreted it,now i have an option of 2 fairly decent boats,the first is a 1998 1800 astro dual console with a 175 efi on it minnkota tm,and 2 cheap graphs from a dealer,the motor sounds good and the compression i was told was 115 across the board,the price is 3995.00,the gelcoat is going to take some work to bring back as the top is quite rough, now the second is the exact boat i had it is a 1997 x1850 with a fresh rebuilt 175 efi motor with less than 20 hours,gel coat is nice just needs a good buffing,im a little skeptical because i was told the rebuild was the cylinders re sleeved and new pistons compression is 120 on all cylinders,oil pump disconnected and gotta mix the gas,no graphs and a cheap 55lb thrust tm the price on this is 5300.00 and the guy is firm,which boat is the better buy for the money?

2. Member
    If you can confirm the numbers on 1850.....I'd say go with that one. It was just like the one you regretted selling....so you know the layout and how it fishes. You can add your own graphs and upgrade the TM if you need to...and have the funds. Drive them both if you can and make your decision then. Good luck!!

3. Member
    The 1800. A base boat, the 1850 was the top of the astro clas in the 18-19' boat. Both are nice boat but the 1850 is a step up.

4. Member
    thanks for the input guys i think i will go with the 1850

5. Member
    ok after running both boats,i pulled the trigger on the 1998 1800 astro with the 175hp,one key factor was the compression on it was perfect 120 psi on all 6 cylinders and the boat ran perfext,matched with a 25 pitch prop me and 1 guy topped out at 64 mph both speedo and gps,i only have 2 issues,the boat sat in a slip on the lake and has built up this white chaulky substance on the motor and trim unit ,does anyone know how to get it off,and another is there is no water pressure gauge or temp gayge,not even a hole where one was,do i need one?

6. Member
    You can clean up the calcium build up with some phosphoric bowl cleaner from a Janitorial Supply house. Or any mild acid product
    Do not use Hydrocloric acid!!

7. Member
    omg im glad you said that ,i was going to try it thanks

Vinegar may work as well. My Astro 1800 did not come with these guages,(purchased new) I had the dealer install them. I would at least add the water pressure guage.
    2016 BassCat Cougar FTD

9. Member
    I have a mint Astro 1850 dcx with 175 hp Mercury and a Tandem wheel trailer . Just wondering did i mess up . I spent $ 9000.00 on 2 humminbird helix 12 with side and down imaging . They are linked together finders with shields and everything done up right and also a new minnkota etrex with spot lock this spring . I have a three step ladder on trailer . this puts the boat price up around $ 15000.00 . There is no way i'll ever get my money out of the upgrade is there . Boat is perfect with new seat skins . Love boat but i'm getting to old to go . what do you think ?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassiholic View Post
    I have a mint Astro 1850 dcx with 175 hp Mercury and a Tandem wheel trailer . Just wondering did i mess up . I spent $ 9000.00 on 2 humminbird helix 12 with side and down imaging . They are linked together finders with shields and everything done up right and also a new minnkota etrex with spot lock this spring . I have a three step ladder on trailer . this puts the boat price up around $ 15000.00 . There is no way i'll ever get my money out of the upgrade is there . Boat is perfect with new seat skins . Love boat but i'm getting to old to go . what do you think ?
    If it's all paid for, run it til it falls apart or sinks. I'm like you, I have a mint 93 Astro 20 FDX and have spent a lot on upgraded electronics and trolling motor (not that much though! lol). Mine is paid for. If you ever decide to sell, you can always remove the electronics.

11. Member
    Grey Goose your 100 % right i went all out on the electronic and got it all installed at same time because i didn;t want to have two sizes to get familar with . It's paid for . but i'm getting older so questioning my decision . I so;d boats for living and we sold Ranger Skeeter and Bass Cat but nor Astro . They would come in for service on the engone but never boat and i always lived how well they stayed together so i found a really clean one and bought it . The others i mentioned were great boats and i had a buch through trading but the astro just caught my fancy !