Trailering a 520 question

Been pulling z520c with 99 suburban, trailer level for 4 years. Looking in side view left tires rides smoothly.. can't see right side.

Pull it with 2018 Yukon xl. With a 8 inch drop (seems to be about an inch or so higher than before) left tires bounce like crazy.
    No swaying at any speed.

Could an inch make that big of a difference. Been looking for a 9 but unable to find one

And I have switched both trucks back And forth several times, and there is a difference . I can see it as well as feel it

Yes, hitch height makes a difference. Best towing is with the trailer level
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

Torsion axles don't pivot like leaf spring axles. If the trailer isn't level one axle will bear more of the load; not good. It can lead to uneven wear or blowouts.
    Last edited by DeGraaf; 09-20-2018 at 07:04 PM.
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

4. Member
    8" drop seems like an awful lot for a stock yukon. My Ram 3500 on 36" tires doesn't require that much drop for anything I've ever towed.

Is your truck lifted significantly?
    Do you have a side picture of the whole setup?
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshfly View Post
    8" drop seems like an awful lot for a stock yukon. My Ram 3500 on 36" tires doesn't require that much drop for anything I've ever towed.

The hitch on those Yukon/Tahoes are really high because they're inside of the bumper instead of dropping down below it.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slaunch View Post
    The hitch on those Yukon/Tahoes are really high because they're inside of the bumper instead of dropping down below it.
    I used to have one. They aren't that high. The bumpers are pretty low actually so it evens out. I'd still like to see a side picture or even just a measurement to the bottom of the ball on that 8" drop insert. Most boat trailer hitch heights are around 18" at level. My Ram hitch is 20" to the bottom. I highly doubt a stock Yukon has a hitch 6" higher than a lifted Ram 3500 on 36" tires.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

7. Member
    see what your measurements are,from top of the ball to ground,18" is about right on most

8. Member
    I used to have one. They aren't that high. The bumpers are pretty low actually so it evens out. I'd still like to see a side picture or even just a measurement to the bottom of the ball on that 8" drop insert. Most boat trailer hitch heights are around 18" at level. My Ram hitch is 20" to the bottom. I highly doubt a stock Yukon has a hitch 6" higher than a lifted Ram 3500 on 36" tires.
    Well, my 17 Yukon needed an 8" drop to get my trailer level. I measured and used a level.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

Measure to the base of the ball. 16-18" to the base of the ball when loaded is what Ive been told.
    http://blog.rangerboats.com/2011/07/...checklist.html

10. Member
    I had to go to an 8" drop on our 16 Yukon Denali with 22 inch wheels. Pulling a 13 520C. Let us know if and where you find a 9" drop as mine is not exactly level.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger randy View Post
    I had to go to an 8" drop on our 16 Yukon Denali with 22 inch wheels. Pulling a 13 520C. Let us know if and where you find a 9" drop as mine is not exactly level.
    Curt MFG has up to 10" Drop on their Class III's. But in 2" Increments. Kind of like trying to dial in prop pitch, huh?
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

It's better to have your trailer just slightly lower than level. As you pull it will rise up some and become level. Too high can cause it to sway and cause uneven tire wear and at a high speed can cause loss of control.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    Measure to the base of the ball. 16-18" to the base of the ball when loaded is what Ive been told.
    http://blog.rangerboats.com/2011/07/...checklist.html
    I also believe they recommend to measure with the trailer hitched to the truck.
    2021 Ranger Z519 Mercury 225 Pro XS Four Stroke

14. Member

I used to pull mine with a Yukon XL and I also needed the 8” drop.