Porpoising bad with a Bravo 1

I have a couple promax props i run on my Stroker but its been so hot ive been having a hard time getting out of the hole so i put my 28p Bravo xs on that i had for my Gambler. Hole shot is amazing with 7 holes open and one closed, but the boat is wanting to porpoise at all speeds. Its fine accelerating but as soon as i start to cruise it starts porpoising, even at 65 and 75 mph which is "cruising" speed for these boats. I tryed moving the motor up and down but it seemed to have no affect on the porpoising. Any ideas? The prop is box stock right now.
    Stroker w/ 300 SuperMag

2. Member
    How do you have the trim set? Try bumping it up a bit and see what happens. On the Bravo 1 props I've had I removed from the barrel 3/8" of flare to help the porpoise. Mine were Bravo 1's. Your post refers to the Bravo 1 and the XS, not sure what the difference is.

3. Member
    Yep, number one is make sure you have the cut flare. I also have had porpoising problems in my Stroker even in the low 80s with some Bravos. I usually send it to Mark Croxton and he fixes them for me. Bravos don't have a lot of bow lift, so this is where the help is usually needed.

4. Member
    A local machine shop should be able to remove it I would think to save you some time and money shipping

5. Member
    Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida
    The Bravo 1xs does not have the flare. I have never run a xs bravo that would porpoise

6. Member
    Couldn’t need a slight more cup added

7. Member
    Yep, tip cupping which adds rake and bow lift. That's my guess. Croxton is the best one to set up a Bravo for Strokers. I've had 3 Bravo XS props and none ran right new. All ran right after Croxton worked them. Going forward, if I buy another Bravo, it will be a cheaper stock Bravo and let Croxton do everything. (Final cost around $650 instead of around $850)

8. Member
    Ok ill send it off to him to get it worked. It is an XS model Bravo 1 so it has the short barrel already. I keep my boat loaded and have a heavy Ultrex on it so im sure i just need more bow lift.
    Last edited by ANG; 09-19-2018 at 05:48 PM.
    Stroker w/ 300 SuperMag

9. Member
    Anyone know what the total length would be on a cut bravo barrel?
    2008 Triton 20X2 2008 Mercury Pro 250XS

10. RIP -April 30,2023
    matt at marine propeller warehouse in longview tx works all my bravos for my stroker. ive never had an issue with porpoising. I can run 8 mph and still stay on pad without porpoising but ive got a holeshot plate. with a foil, its about 18mph. if I remember, its 6 3/8" total barrel length on the bravo

11. Member
    Anyone have pictures of a cut bravo? 6 3/8” total, measurement includes the step down lip?
    2008 Triton 20X2 2008 Mercury Pro 250XS

12. Member
    I've sold all mine.

13. aka Strokedyamaha StrokerSmoker's Avatar
    I sure like the bravos they seam to be a great all around prop for a stroker I have a 32 I use a lot for fishing it comes out ok with a load and has run 107 solo fishing ready....getting a 27 xs worked now hoping get it to a 100 or close and have a Great holeshot

Hi performance parts or a Yamaha power head visit
    Hydro-Tec's web site @ http://www.yamaha-rebuild.com/
    Paul Hottman Hydro-Tec's Pro staff since 1998

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StrokerSmoker View Post
    I sure like the bravos they seam to be a great all around prop for a stroker I have a 32 I use a lot for fishing it comes out ok with a load and has run 107 solo fishing ready....getting a 27 xs worked now hoping get it to a 100 or close and have a Great holeshot
    That crazy pauly but I believe it because I’ve seen you run over 110. I think you ran 108-109 with that bravo a few months ago in batesville didn’t you?

15. aka Strokedyamaha StrokerSmoker's Avatar
    the best it ran with a bravo was 107.....The only props I have that's faster are the performers 32-34s

Hi performance parts or a Yamaha power head visit
    Hydro-Tec's web site @ http://www.yamaha-rebuild.com/
    Paul Hottman Hydro-Tec's Pro staff since 1998

16. Member
    I just ordered a 4" spacer from hydrodynamics to go between the transom and the jackplate. The extra set back may help with lifting the bow with the Ultrex on it.
    Stroker w/ 300 SuperMag

17. Member
    How much set back do you currently have?
    Quote Originally Posted by ANG View Post
    I just ordered a 4" spacer from hydrodynamics to go between the transom and the jackplate. The extra set back may help with lifting the bow with the Ultrex on it.

18. Member
    Its a 10 or 12" plate, ill have to measure it. It is the stock one. The entire boat is bone stock the only part that has been replaced is the jackplate switch.
    Stroker w/ 300 SuperMag