Minimum gauge size for jumper cables?

To jump modern 250's, what's the minimum size jumper cables that would work?

Can't say about the "modern 250's" But I'm not sure they make one big enough to jump this 300XS..
    Maybe hand built from welding cable.

10 ga is to light, 6 is ok, 4 is good for 10' or less and 2 is good for over 10'. The Harbor Freight heavy duty are ok. I think they are a 6 ga. Here's an "Old Tow Truck Trick" - use TWO sets of jumpers even on one battery to one battery and it will work much better !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

This is what I prefer. This model may not be large enough for your engine but they make them for Diesel engines, should be big enough.

Attached Images Attached Images

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

I bought a NOCO GB40-- just in case !!
    It also failed to start this 300XS on a cold morning.
    I have since realized why, Mercury says it needs a min. of 1000 MCA and only certain batteries meet "THERE" requirements..

6. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    If you are jumping from a trolling battery you can make a set 3 to 4ft and get by with much smaller gauge but I usually still use a minimum of 6awg on a 4ft set but 8awg would work
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

7. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I agree with Bill 100% on this one. I have an Anker portable battery/jumpstarter and I have jumped multiple trucks when their old nasty 16’ jumper cables did nothing.

I walk over with this tiny little Anker, offer to help...they usually snicker, I hook it up, wait 5 seconds and I have yet for it to not work first try.

Every time the owner or the person with the cables takes a picture of it so they can get one. It’s the best $70 I’ve ever spent....except for fishing gear!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Can't say about the "modern 250's" But I'm not sure they make one big enough to jump this 300XS..
    Maybe hand built from welding cable.
    Yes welding cable is the way to go.Go to your local welding supply house and ask for #2 welding cable.They should also have your heavy duty clamps.This way you can make them any length you want.I have a set I made over 30 years ago and they are still doing the job.
    "keep your blood thin,you will live longer"

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wentbroketryingtogopro View Post
    Yes welding cable is the way to go.Go to your local welding supply house and ask for #2 welding cable.They should also have your heavy duty clamps.This way you can make them any length you want.I have a set I made over 30 years ago and they are still doing the job.
    +2 here. I built my own from welding cable and heavy duty clamps. Cables never even get warm.

I'm kind of looking forward to the next time someone asks for a jump. I just built a set from #4 welding cable. Just under 50'. I can be parked behind you, and run the cable up to your battery.
    Ranger Z-20, Yamaha F225.

Damn, if those were a few feet longer they'd be about the most economical option out there for wiring up a trolling motor.

I know, I know, only use marine tinned wire and all that.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Damn, if those were a few feet longer they'd be about the most economical option out there for wiring up a trolling motor.

I know, I know, only use marine tinned wire and all that.
    HD has longer and bigger wire offerings... And yes, I have used them for trolling motor cable on my winter boat.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish Whisperer View Post
    I'm kind of looking forward to the next time someone asks for a jump. I just built a set from #4 welding cable. Just under 50'. I can be parked behind you, and run the cable up to your battery.
    Wait did You say 50ft.? of 4 gauge or it cost You 50 bucks. Because if You made foot cables 4 gauge on a 12 volt circuit is only going to handle 16 amps or so. never going to turn an out board over.

15. Member
    I got the 16' jumper cables from Harbor Freight, 6 gauge. I got the longer cables in case I needed to help out another boater in need. I believe they were $32 with a coupon.

16. Member
    Noco gb40

17. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottOz View Post
    Wait did You say 50ft.? of 4 gauge or it cost You 50 bucks. Because if You made foot cables 4 gauge on a 12 volt circuit is only going to handle 16 amps or so. never going to turn an out board over.
    How do you figure 50' 4 gauge cables will only handle 16 amps or So? Even on a 12v system? Are you referring to the voltage drop across the length of the wire? I'm just curious how u got 16 amps.
    Last edited by Buck456; 09-28-2018 at 11:08 AM.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck456 View Post
    How do you figure 50' 4 gauge cables will only handle 16 amps or So? Even on a 12v system? Are you referring to the voltage drop across the length of the wire? I'm just curious how u got 16 amps.
    I am in the Auto Electric Field. I have a calculator that tells you what size wire to use for the amp draw you have. in a 12 volt circuit at 50 foot it is only good for around 16 amps. To pull 200 amps at 40 feet long you need to run 2 4/0 cables

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottOz View Post
    I am in the Auto Electric Field. I have a calculator that tells you what size wire to use for the amp draw you have. in a 12 volt circuit at 50 foot it is only good for around 16 amps. To pull 200 amps at 40 feet long you need to run 2 4/0 cables
    Just remember that a jumper cable is only used momentary so you can get away with more. But its going to get really hot running 50 foot. Those numbers are for continues use.

20. BBC SPONSOR
    I see what what you're saying. It would also make a difference if it is being jumped off just a battery or from a running boat/car. If the dead battery was able to accept a charge you could hook it up with a 4 gauge jumper cable and charge it up awhile and then see if it would start but I agree with that length of cable bigger than 4 gauge would be preferred.