Compact raingear?

I'm on a de-junking mission and would like to still keep raingear in the boat. Any suggestions on a decent set that doesn't take up a lot of space?

2. Member
    The best I have seen is the huk packable rain gear. It is not warm, but it will keep you dry.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

I have a cheap Coleman set that works pretty good.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

Columbia Omnitech

5. Fishing is a Passion
    Frogg Toggs
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

I have the frogg toggs. They aren’t super durable but they will keep you dry. I’d say they will last a year, but for $20 that’s fine by me. I can clip them to my tackle bag when I go fish with friends and I hardly know they are there.

7. Member
    Hefty Lawn Cleanup, 39 gallon size. In a rubber band, slightly larger than a pack of cigarettes.

8. Member
    Based on my experiences, the Frogg Toggs will work if it's only a brief rain shower, but if you are out all day fishing in rain that isn't letting up, you will get soaked. It has also been my experience that the Frogg Toggs are useless when running down the lake in the rain at anything above idle speed. Surprisingly enough, my wife purchased a set of the H20 Express brand rain gear for me (bibs and jacket), and they haven't failed me yet. I have been out several times in all day rain (I love fishing in the rain) and they keep me as dry as if it weren't raining. They aren't as compact when stored as some others, but to me what I am giving up in space, I am making up for in knowing that I will be dry when the wet stuff rolls in.

If you find some that WORK let me know.
    Have had two differnt sets of the Frogg Toggs and neither set would keep me dry in a staedy rain.
    I bought some leight wt golf rain gear.. was a little pricey -- which is ok if they WORK.. Have yet to give them a good test.

Pants instead of bibs will make a big difference in the amount of space they take up. Check out stuff marketed to backpackers - it's all made to pack up into a small area.

It's worth mentioning that there will be tradeoffs like with anything. If nothing else you'll lose the extra protection afforded by bibs. More realistically it's safe to assume that any compact set of rain gear will not afford the same level of protection from the elements as one that was built with function as its primary concern.

While typing this a thought occurred to me re: looking at what backpackers use. You might just grab a compression stuff sack for your current set of rain gear. Check Amazon. I'm sure you could get something that would work very well for way less than a cheapie rain suit that would allow you to slim down the stuff you already own without losing its functionality. Those things are incredible in just how small they can compress things that take up space but that are mostly "air" (like clothes, rain gear, sleeping bags, etc). Honestly, now that I've thought of it, I'm totally going to do this! I've got backpacking gear that sits around unused for a lot of the year and I'm sure I can commandeer a compression sack out of it without a problem. The space my rain gear takes up has always been a minor nuisance that I've been willing to deal with for the peace of mind of staying dry. Turns out it's probably a nuisance that's not necessary with a little smarter storage of it.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

11. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Field Supply has the HUK packable raingear on super sale right now. I got the Frabill F1 coat and bins there really cheap. Columbia makes a lightweight packable set of raingear as well that’s not priced like Columbia stuff usually is.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

If you don't have the storage space---- get a space saver vacuum bag. Fold the rain gear as best you can, insert into bag, use vacuum in the bags port, and now it is only 2inches thick.

13. Member
    I do this also.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    If you don't have the storage space---- get a space saver vacuum bag. Fold the rain gear as best you can, insert into bag, use vacuum in the bags port, and now it is only 2inches thick.

14. Member
    I have a Kool dri jacket and bibs that I purchased in the 1980's. Other than retapeing seams, they have performed great.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

15. Member
    Agree on Huk packable.
    2004 Tracker Avalanche with 150 Mercury XR6

16. mikesxpress
    Bass guys gravitate toward what's being advertised the most vs what has worked for commercial fisherman for years. Grundens. I opted for something that would keep me dry even while running. A lighter weight parka and bibs. No pockets. No frills.
    https://shop.grundens.com

https://www.cabelas.com/product/cabe...ref=prd1914099

https://www.cabelas.com/product/cabe...ref=prd1907757

Cabela's Rainy River Gore-Tex Paclite. I've used it for years. I got them big enough to layer underneath. Great stuff, I keep the jacket in my back seat for a year round rain/windbreaker.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    This! I keep 2 space bags, one with the rain gear and a second with a towel and change of clothes (sweat pants, heavy socks, sweat shirt) in case someone goes overboard. They fit in my rod locker underneath the rods and act as another layer of padding for bouncing.

19. Member
    Sooner has it. Paclite is the way to go. Not cheap but they will keep you dry, and nice just on a cool morning to keep warm. They will roll up to fit in a gallon zip lock if you don't have a small duffel bag. I get more use out of these than either of my guideware suites.