Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    The boat is a cobra 190d (or d190). I looked at a foil, i wasn't sure if it helps with keeping the bow down at lower speeds. I don't know too much about them but I think they just screw on to the motor(?).

2. Member
    I have a foil that doesnt require being screwed to the motor...rock solid after one year of use and easy to install

[QUOTE=kylelp;9673706] The bow is still raised pretty good (which is still uncomfortable for me) when this is happening and only comes down when i get down to near idle speed. But i didn't get hardly any water in the splash well, which was my goal. I also like that it takes 1-2 seconds for the bow to come down when adding the gas to get on plane.

When you come off plane, lower the trim all the way down, back off the throttle all the way, as the wake starts to lift the boat goose the throttle a bit to pull ahead of the wave, then you will have the bow down and you can throttle up to move forward at a slower speed and see over the bow. Just take some practice and some trial and error.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

4. Member
    So when you are slowing down to come off plane and your boat bow starts to rise, do you cut the power so the bow goes down (more parallel with the water) then give it gas? At the moment, as i come off plane the bow starts to rise up, while is still up (i think i'm at 2000 rpm but can't exactly remember), I give it some gas, then kind of easy it down to get the bow to come down. It sure likes to pop up pretty quick (doesn't take much speed to get the bow to start rising).

I also have 2 other questions. I noticed a lot of bass boat guys beach their boat instead of tying it up to a dock. This scares me beaching it as i don't want to hit anything or mess up the motor. I also don't like the dock idea since the boat could start bumping the dock and scratching my baby. Any thoughts?

My last question is when you load your boat on the trailer, the front ring on the boat, does it need to touch the roller in the front? How tight are your straps on the end?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kylelp View Post
    I also have 2 other questions. I noticed a lot of bass boat guys beach their boat instead of tying it up to a dock. This scares me beaching it as i don't want to hit anything or mess up the motor. I also don't like the dock idea since the boat could start bumping the dock and scratching my baby. Any thoughts?

My last question is when you load your boat on the trailer, the front ring on the boat, does it need to touch the roller in the front? How tight are your straps on the end?
    Not to answer your question, but in case you don't know, you have to raise your motor on tilt until the prop is almost at the water level when you power load. If not you can hit the bottom and damage the prop or L/U.

You can beach your boat, but you can also damage it by hitting a rock or concrete....you have a valid concern there. Just try to be aware. They make a keel guard to protect the keel of the boat, most guys have these and are more comfortable beaching their boats.

Damage from being docked is also likely. Your rub rail should prevent most of that, but there is the possibility of damage due to wakes and/or low/high water levels.

To answer your last question, it all depends on your level of confidence on loading the boat. When my boat was new to me, I was not as confident so when loading, I did not run the boat all the way up to the roller in fear of being crooked and hitting the post. I would always leave 3"-4" and crank it up the last bit. Now, I just make sure the boat is on the trailer straight - and run it all the way up.

You confidence will come with time.

We all had to start somewhere...but I did a lot of this type of learning and research on a small jon boat....then bought a high performance bass boat.

Be careful out there man...it sounds like you have a lot of learning to do.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

Quote Originally Posted by kylelp View Post
    I also don't like the dock idea since the boat could start bumping the dock and scratching my baby. Any thoughts?
    You put these between the boat and dock.
    https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/tay...ildCatid=10914

P01135809

9. Member
    Always full throttle on take off then trim up as needed for boat lift. When coming to idle trim down then throttle down, right when it sits back down just gas it a bit to keep water from coming over splashwell.
    Phil 4:19 2018 Nitro Z19, 200Pro Xs, Lowrance, Minnkota

10. Member
    When you say sit back down, you mean when it comes off plane and the bow sticks up? Or sit back down, to where the bow is down like at idle speed?

11. Member
    As for beaching, I'll not do it on anything other than pure sand. (Even with a keel guard.) One baseball sized rock and you've caused hundreds in damage to your hull, either instantly when you beached it, or repeatedly as it bounces with the waves.

Can't beat the advice so far for how to take off. Sit back, hold on, and go wide open. It'll take just a few seconds and you'll be up on plane, then a few more and you'll be on 'pad'.

I think we're all assuming you have a HotFoot (gas pedal)? Most bass boats do, and it makes driving one MUCH easier.

Stopping isn't just one of those things that you do in an instant. As has been mentioned, first (just as you start to THINK of slowing down) you trim down and it'll pull the bow down (this is while you still have most of your throttle in it). At that point the bow will be down, and as you SLOWLY let off the throttle the stern will start to rise up. Then as you've let off most of your throttle you can see/feel the wave coming from the back, at that point give it a quick 'goose' to make the back end rise up as the wave gets to it.

Three or four practice runs and you'll get it.

As for docking, boat fenders/bumpers of some sort come in handy. Thing is.... a bass boat is a lot lower than pretty much all docks, so you have to hang them off the cleats on the dock (rather than from the boat itself). We keep a pair of what must be 5"x16" (or perhaps larger) in the forward locker. Tried the flat ones but at many docks they have poles or something that are thicker than the fenders so you end up bumping that instead of the fender. Of course if we didn't *usually* stop during the day to go eat we'd probably just leave them in the truck! LOL

What a lot of us do when docking thoguh is use Power Poles (or Talons) and that'll keep it where you put it.
    Of course two work better than one, but one can be a LOT of help when fishing AND docking.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 4 Color Flake
    250 Pro XS, SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12" w/Hole shot plate
    NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Remote Lighting Control
    HDS Gen 3's, TotalScan, 3DSS
    Red Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12