Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    For the life of me I don't understand why they can't pave that road. Seems like they could charge to launch your boat until they had enough money to do it? I have only been there one time in early 2000's but I would send money to contribute to the cause.

2. Member
    Some of it has been paved. From the Stick Marsh ramp the new road is paved now for a couple miles down past the new Fellsmere Resivour. Road is nice and smooth. I dont know if they will pave it all the way to the main turn off to the lake but it would be very nice if it was. There still trying to figure out where to put the new ramp for the new lake. Lots of arguments between government, city, county, etc trying to come up with a decision. My friends F-250 (6.0 power stroke) pulls the Bullet just fine on the road. The problem is pulling boat out of the water on wet ramp. The truck is light in the rear end and the tires will spin quite a bit if he doesn't use 4 wheel drive. My Tahoe will pull it out in two wheel drive every time and not spin the wheels. I think the weight difference on the rear wheels of the Tahoe makes a difference. It does have the tow package. The other ramp I fish at is very steep and I have no trouble pulling the boat out with it there either. Its so steep the trailer will drag the tongue where the spare tire sits across the ramp at the top of the ramp where the dirt road starts. Makes a loud grinding noise but does no damage to the trailer except some scrapped paint.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    I like my pickup simply because when I fish alone, which is 99% of the time, I can climb up into the bed and step over to the bow from the tailgate...never a wet foot.

Back when I towed with a Jeep Grand Cherokee, I had to either wade in the water to unhook the boat and climb in to launch or do the rope trick where I hit the brakes and jumped out and grabbed the rope clipped to the bow eye and then lead it over to the dock....something that doesn't work on every ramp.
    This is probably the biggest difference IMO. You can shop to get the ight motor/trans to fit your needs but loading and unloading the boat is the difference.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    I have had both and I prefer the ride, towability of a z71 Suburban. I am on my 2nd one which just happens to be a 2002 I bought last year with only 70k miles.

The one thing I miss about my Yukon vs. my quad cab truck is the hotel parking lots. The shorter Yukon was awesome for turning in tight spaces.

6. Joe4d
    Thats funny about Stick Marsh , Took my son there when he was about 8,, after coming home from yet another deployment. Launched boat and trailer bunk had broke off trailer cross section. Weld broke...
    Handy roll of Duct Tape,,, was right as rain in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    My 2014 4WD GMC Yuon with 3.08 gears and the 5.3 was AWFUL.
    My 2018 4WD Ford F-150 with 3.55 gears and 3.5 EB is GREAT.
    I know most if it was gearing, but still....
    i had the same motor and rear in chevy and thought the same

my new 3.5/355 is unreal

I used to tow with a tahoe but prefer pickup as you can see boat better

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungRE2 View Post
    Some of it has been paved. From the Stick Marsh ramp the new road is paved now for a couple miles down past the new Fellsmere Resivour. Road is nice and smooth. I dont know if they will pave it all the way to the main turn off to the lake but it would be very nice if it was. There still trying to figure out where to put the new ramp for the new lake. Lots of arguments between government, city, county, etc trying to come up with a decision. My friends F-250 (6.0 power stroke) pulls the Bullet just fine on the road. The problem is pulling boat out of the water on wet ramp. The truck is light in the rear end and the tires will spin quite a bit if he doesn't use 4 wheel drive. My Tahoe will pull it out in two wheel drive every time and not spin the wheels. I think the weight difference on the rear wheels of the Tahoe makes a difference. It does have the tow package. The other ramp I fish at is very steep and I have no trouble pulling the boat out with it there either. Its so steep the trailer will drag the tongue where the spare tire sits across the ramp at the top of the ramp where the dirt road starts. Makes a loud grinding noise but does no damage to the trailer except some scrapped paint.
    The last time I was there we had dad's 2wd Suburban. It spun so much on the ramp I'd have to give it a shove with the outboard and shut it off before it came out of the water.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    It eventually washes out csurp. Spend a week fishing there one winter and you might change your mind.
    Has to be better than ky lake these days

10. Goby King
    Currently have a 02 Tahoe. Absolutely HATE it. Can't wait to get back in a truck.

11. Member
    2006 Tahoe with 80K on it. 3.73 rear differential. Not the best gas mileage, but it pulls the boat out at ramps and rarely slips. Tow the 21 foot Ranger everywhere with it, and sleep in the back at a campsite while fishing tourneys. Love the enclosed and secure storage. Been a great vehicle. Plan to keep it forever as a tow vehicle.

My F250 is the best of both worlds ,ARE top with bed slide and the power on a 440 HP diesel 4x4 .

13. Member
    I have an Avalanche, witch is basically a truck body on the Suburban frame and suspension. 99% of the time the rear seat is down giving me storage space while general boat stuff is in the back. I can use the tailgate to climb off the bow when loading by myself. I don’t need it when launching but I could. The air suspension works great and I like the ride whether towing or not. E

Unfortunately they don’t make it anymore but there are low mileage used ones around.
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveTTN View Post
    Truck for me 100%. I fish alone a lot so would be getting my feet wet everytime with a SUV.
    Same here

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveTTN View Post
    Truck for me 100%. I fish alone a lot so would be getting my feet wet everytime with a SUV.
    How are you getting in and out of the truck bed?

Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    How are you getting in and out of the truck bed?
    I keep a little two step stool in the back of the truck. I put it in the water next to the truck and just step up to the bed using the tire as the third step.

When loading the boat, I do the same thing in reverse only then I'm in the bed and I drop the step stool down where I need it. I've had several guys at the ramp comment on what a clever idea it is.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

17. Member
    I cant believe you guys cant launch a boat without getting wet or in back of the truck. I launch by myself all the time with a truck /shell combo . get a longer rope

18. Member
    I drive a 2018 Platinum F150 3.5 EB SCREW but used my wifes 2014 Escalade ESV with the 6.2 motor a few times. It did the job but not even close to as good as my truck. My EB is a 3.31 rear...not sure on Caddy

Quote Originally Posted by clearlake outdoors View Post
    I cant believe you guys cant launch a boat without getting wet or in back of the truck. I launch by myself all the time with a truck /shell combo . get a longer rope
    OK, sounds good.... Please explain how you do it when the dock is a 50 yards away from the ramp and the ramp is surrounded by rip rap and you don't have a Hambys?
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    OK, sounds good.... Please explain how you do it when the dock is a 50 yards away from the ramp and the ramp is surrounded by rip rap and you don't have a Hambys?
    I can't winch my boat onto the trailer and it needs to be well in the water to load it. I keep sandals on the boat for warm weather and rubber boots for colder temps. I would love to know a better way.

I put a keelguard on the boat and don't get wet when launching using a rope, but loading is another story.

Back to the original question of truck vs suv, I need the tailgate down to help get off the boat after changing the trolling motor to an Xi5. I used to be able to get off and onto the trailer but now there isn't as much room. I need to step onto the tailgate and then down to the trailer.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123