Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    There isn’t anything secure left in a vehicle Skipper. I’ve yet to have water get in my cover. The fancy hard covers I’ve had leak a little bit in a car wash, but this folding soft cover that covers up over the top hasn’t leaked. It is easier to get into than a locked car. I’ll give you that. I’ve seen cops get in a lock with a slim Jim real quick as well. If cops have em crooks have em. I’ve crawled through the back window of my SUV’s more than once in the winter or at a muddy ramp. In a truck I just undo the cover before backing down.

It really comes down to what you prefer.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    That Stick Marsh road will ruin about anything on the road! I've seen a radiator rattled right out of an Explorer. We ended up changing it in the parking lot of the hotel...fun stuff when you're out of town. I've worked on a few trailers at that hotel over the years including my own.

I like the longer wheel base of a pickup on the longer interstate pulls. The new half tons are just plush. I've been down there in several vehicles. I guess my fav is the Laramie Longhorn Ram. Super comfortable vehicle to make a 12 hour ride in. With the pickup you don't have all the dirty stuff in the back, not to mention throwing a nasty boat cover back there. SUV's can and will do the job, but I prefer the truck for boating duties. It all boils down to what you prefer.

As for 2 or 4WD. We have only needed 4WD one time down there. A couple of years ago we launched my RT in the ditch when the water was super low. The only other people in there were the college students with their row boats. The ramp was plumb out of the water, just sand and the boat was on the other bank as soon as it was off the trailer. It took 4WD to get it back out. I was glad we could launch there that day. No way could we have fished the big lake in my tin boat with 30 MPH gust and a steady 20 MPH wind. We sat down in the ditch and caught fish all day long. I've needed 4WD a couple of times in AR launching on their so called "improved" ramps. They essentially launch between a couple of bushes and the road down there looks like it was cut with a dozer. It can be a straight up mess if it's been raining.
    I drove the road into Stick Marsh that runs west off of Babcock without a boat in July just to look around. It was a hot dusty day and I went slow but dust got in everywhere. I would never consider pulling a nice boat in there.

3. Member
    It eventually washes out csurp. Spend a week fishing there one winter and you might change your mind.

4. Member
    After four Tahoes, I purchased a Tundra crew cab last year. Although the Tahoes did a very good job towing a 20 bass boat, the Tundra is better. The longer wheel base just does a better job.

The only downside to the Tundra is the 28 extra inches in additional length which is a pain to deal with in tight quarters. The biggest issue with the new Tahoe's is that they come standard with that pathetic 3.08 rear end. You can still get the 3.42 rear end but they are hard to find.
    Last edited by Whiteboat; 09-22-2018 at 07:30 AM.

5. Member
    I have run my Tahoe and Bullet down that 6 mile Stick Marsh at least 50 to 60 times a year for the past 12 years in a row. There is another road to another lake I wont name, but it has a 12 mile road that is even worse and I have been down and back on it about half as much as the Stick Marsh. Both places are great fisheries. Mine does have the 5.7 350 with 110,000 on it. I did have a few problems with it over the years but it mostly has been a great ride. I also have a pickup that has no problem towing the boat but I much prefer the ride of the Tahoe. The only thing I dont like about it is the brakes dont have enough stopping power for me. I will probably use it until I give up fishing or die.

6. Member
    I have a 2004 Suburban and have always used it in 2 wheel drive and have never had any issues pulling boat out of water or any issues down the road. I like how its enclosed as well.

7. BBC SPONSOR
    I have a 2014 Yukon Denali XL 6.2and a 2017 Ford F-250 6.7 Diesel .... I've also had Chevy 5.3 and Duramax... If you live in the flatlands 1 hour trips are the norm then the SUV will be fine, however the XL or Suburban versions will ride much nicer than the shorter wheelbase models. When it comes to taking long distance trips there is NO comparison to the diesel trucks. I can run 80-90 MPH get 15 Plus MPG and have a 34 gallon tank ( some models offer 48) so I can longer periods without refueling. Plus the 3/4 ton handles the boat.... the boat HANDLES the Denali. I feel much more secure for my family in my F-250 if I have to swerve or stop than in the floaty SUV. I have heard the newer 2015 an up GM SUV's tow better than the older 2014 GM SUV. Also from someone who has owned the HD GM and the newer 2017 Ford F-250's the GM HD rides 5,000 times better than the even the new Ford Superduty. As far as Half ton trucks... The Tundra and the Eco Boost (with tow package) pull better than the 5.3 GM's

When you live where ice is like me, long wheel bass is a good thing, I slipped at 80 pulling my boat to a power plant lake on dec 22 last year. Also have driven a 99 Yukon enough to say that same situation would have been an insurance claim.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

9. Member
    Spotsylvania, Va. 22553. Near Frederi mm lcksburg, Va
    I Tow my BC with a 2015 Tahoe. I very much like how it tows. Fact is I drive it way more than tow with it. I like how it rides etc. Gas Millage is not terrible. Being retired I don't put a huge amount of miles on it a year so for me its no biggie.

Got a buddy with a new Tahoe and love the way it pulls this Skeeter up and down the interstates to and from events...but this big ol boat is heavy and for my money I like a truck...and I like this diesel...makes it much more simple to tow..
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

11. Member
    I'm a SUV man and a big fan of the Suburban.

12. Banned
    I love my truck, wife drives the SUV.

I am going to switch to a SUV at some point in the near future because it fits family needs more. My big hesitation is launching/loading by myself, which is every time I go. Summer is not a big issue with wet feet but cooler months would be a problem.

14. Member
    I just bought a '19 Chevy High Country dually. It pulls my Z522 quite easily.
    2016 Ranger Z522 Mercury Racing 300

Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    Want to sit in your living room while towing? Excursion, tows like a dream. Sleep in the back, just plain comfy.
    I'm pretty sure a fisherman designed the Excursion. I can't understand why Ford discontinued them. There's nothing available now that even comes close to the versatility and comfort it provides. Guess I'm a SUV guy.

16. Joe4d
    Tahoe was on the the wifes shopping list as she wanted an SUV planning to pull 3-4k lbs.
    What you have to keep in mind is all Tahoe arnt the same, some are set up for towing some arnt. Have to look at the packages.

17. Member
    I tow my Nitro Z7 with a 2013 Ford Explorer and it does fine, have to give extra gas on the big hills. I will be getting a new vehicle next year and was on the fence between the F-150 or the Expedition but Ford has priced themselves out of the market on the Expedition, base model starting at 51K, to get it decently loaded up 60K+. I can get a Lariat F-150 pretty loaded up for less than that so I will be going that route for the next one and put either a cap or cover over the bed.

18. Member
    i Think it was this months Motor Trend That has the breakdown on Car, Truck, and SUV sales over the past three years. Trucks are flat, cars are way down, SUV’s are through the roof. Of course the manufacturers are going to make hay.

Quote Originally Posted by bhjr. View Post
    I'm pretty sure a fisherman designed the Excursion. I can't understand why Ford discontinued them. There's nothing available now that even comes close to the versatility and comfort it provides. Guess I'm a SUV guy.
    I am trying my hardest to make it last!

20. Member
    Truck for me 100%. I fish alone a lot so would be getting my feet wet everytime with a SUV.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast