Confused about wiring direct to battery

So I going to do a direct wiring to my battery for the bow Helix 12 mega. Here is the part I am confused about. I read alot of people say use at least 14 gauge or bigger wires but what is the point or logic of that when the last six feet of wire running to the humminbird is only 18 gauge? It's like buying a extension cable that is 14 gauge but have 18 gauge end?

Simple, wire length adds resistance. The wire gauge of the power cord is OK for its length-6'. It's when you need more length to connect to the battery that you have to increase the wire gauge to overcome resistance (voltage drop).
    Most that don't have unit performance issues use at least 10 gauge marine conductors spliced to the power cord.
    You add a fuse at the battery and the fuse element is very small, but since it is very short, the resistance doesn't affect the voltage.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    +1 save your self a lot of frustration

4. Member
    What you're doing is providing strong clean 12VDC right up to the 6' pigtail.
    Console [HELIX 10MSI G3N || HELIX 10MSI G3N]
    Bow [HELIX 12 CHIRP SI GPS G2N] || RC-2] || [HELIX 10MSI G4N] || [M360 UNIVERSAL MOUNT] || [Mega Live]
    ULTERRA80/US2/IPLINK-60" BT || 2xAS ETH 5PXG || Victron IP67 12V/25A || [NoCo Genius GX2440 24V/40A]
    [X2 GROUP 31] x 3 || [Battleborn 31 lithium]
    Alumacraft Voyageur 175/Yamaha VF115LA

5. Member
    I wonder if cutting the pigtail (power cord) down to a couple of feet would change anything ?

Quote Originally Posted by Real L View Post
    I wonder if cutting the pigtail (power cord) down to a couple of feet would change anything ?
    ]

No
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Member
    Not to Hijack but say you have 2 units at bow and 2 at console. Can you tie both the graphs at bow together or all 4 and run 1 wire or should each unit be individually ran?
    Last edited by tinmar; 09-19-2018 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tinmar View Post
    Not to Hijack but say you have 2 units at bow and 2 at console. Can you tie both the graphs at bow together or all 4 and run 1 wire or should each unit be individually ran?
    Each needs their own fuse.

To avoid four runs to the battery, install a dedicated fuse panel at the console with a circuit breaker at the battery for those conductors. Then connect the four units separately to the fuse panel. Basically duplicate the boat wiring harness with its fuse panel but only have your electronics connected to it.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

9. Member
    Your wiring does not need to be elaborate and as far as I am concerned does not need to be a separate home run if done properly like Wayne describes above. In my case Ranger runs a #6 from battery to helm area and ties down to a terminal strip. This feed is protected by a large breaker right at the battery. The terminal strip feeds the fuse panel via a short run of #10. The fuse panel feeds the electronics expansion terminal strip via a short run of #16.

In my case I added a 40amp relay between the #6 feed terminal and the fuse panel so I can shut off all parasitic loads when not in use without having to dig around in the battery compartment.

I hope to add a second unit at my console this winter. I currently have dedicated wiring to my battery from each of my units on the bow and console...16 gauge. I like this idea. What type or recommended circuit breaker is suggested? Would the 16 gauge be heavy enough to supply the fuse panel?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post

To avoid four runs to the battery, install a dedicated fuse panel at the console with a circuit breaker at the battery for those conductors. Then connect the four units separately to the fuse panel. Basically duplicate the boat wiring harness with its fuse panel but only have your electronics connected to it.

Quote Originally Posted by dwoodfin View Post
    I hope to add a second unit at my console this winter. I currently have dedicated wiring to my battery from each of my units on the bow and console...16 gauge. I like this idea. What type or recommended circuit breaker is suggested? Would the 16 gauge be heavy enough to supply the fuse panel?
    No, not even close. 16 is barely minimum to the console for a single unit and poor to the bow for a single unit.

Minimum 10 gauge from the battery to the fuse panel and 14 gauge or larger to the unit power cords. 20A circuit breaker at the battery.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    No, not even close. 16 is barely minimum to the console for a single unit and poor to the bow for a single unit.

Minimum 10 gauge from the battery to the fuse panel and 14 gauge or larger to the unit power cords. 20A circuit breaker at the battery.

13. Member
    Originally Posted by Wayne P.

Wayne.. do you have a diagram of how you would do this? Not sure how to wire everything up to fuse panel. I’ve looked for diagrams and can’t find any. Thanks

14. Member

Wayne.. do you have a diagram of how you would do this? Not sure how to wire everything up to fuse panel. I’ve looked for diagrams and can’t find any. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zuma72 View Post

No, I don't have a wiring diagram.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

It always amazes me how many people try to get by with the smallest wire they can get away with. In the grand scheme of things, the cost of larger wire is insignificant.
    Once you understand that BIGGER IS BETTER it only seems logical to use larger wire than you think you need. The number of connection and connection quality are also very important .... and don't use glass fuses.
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**
    __________________________________________________ ___

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N