OX66 not pumping water after impeller replacement

2000 OX66 225 with HPDI lower unit. Last time on the water everything was fine. Started engine in the driveway before going out on the water last week and I was not getting water out of the weep hole. Replaced impeller and still no water pumping out of weep hole. Below is all I’ve done so far:

• Replace impeller as well as entire kit (gaskets,orings, etc)
    • old impeller was all intact so I don’t believe any pieces would clog anything.
    • Verified impeller is spinning correct direction
    • woodruff key is in
    • greased everything as it was installed
    • ran engine on single side muffs and with lower unit submergered
    • hooked up hose to flush hookup and had water coming from everywhere it should. Weep hole, lower unit water pickup, etc.
    • removed poppet valve and cleaned out. It did have sand and dirt...
    • drive shaft is turning with engine running and will go into gear.
    • I removed lower unit a second time and removed impeller cover then blew compressed air and water into the opening under the impeller in hope to clear anything that may have been clogged.
    • I followed the water outlet tube as far up as I could see when installing lower unit. I lost sight before I can say with absolute certainty that it meet up with the tube but I’m confident the tube met up.

After all of this I still have no water pumping. I’m lost. Got a tournament in 5 days and I’m stressed. I appreciate all of your input.
    Last edited by Tapdatbass; 09-19-2018 at 06:34 AM.

2. Member
    After you made all the repairs did you test it on muffs in driveway or on the lake? Is the rubber grommet intact where the waterline comes up from the lower unit to the inside of the motor housing? Have you checked the two thermostats sit on top, one per side? Use a piece of coated wire small enough and run it inside the hole where water should be coming of the weep hole.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by javelin90 View Post
    After you made all the repairs did you test it on muffs in driveway or on the lake? Is the rubber grommet intact where the waterline comes up from the lower unit to the inside of the motor housing? Have you checked the two thermostats sit on top, one per side? Use a piece of coated wire small enough and run it inside the hole where water should be coming of the weep hole.
    Tested on the muffs as well as in a tub of water. The rubber grommet is intact. Water comes out the weep hole when water is hooked to the flush connector. Wouldn’t the engine pump water whether the thermostat was open or closed?

4. Member
    Muffs on an OX66 can be tricky. A single sided muff may not supply enough water to get it to pee. Your water pressure from the hose may no be high enough. I turn my hose on as high as it will go. With my double side muff I have to hold it on with my hands and allow the water jacket to fill and for it to start peeing with just the water supplied from the hose. Then I can fire the motor and get it to pee. With a single muff maybe not enough water is getting in. Take it to the lake and see if it pees. It sounds like the repair you made was done correctly.

5. Member
    Have you actually tested it in the lake?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Amistad Tackle View Post
    Muffs on an OX66 can be tricky. A single sided muff may not supply enough water to get it to pee. Your water pressure from the hose may no be high enough. I turn my hose on as high as it will go. With my double side muff I have to hold it on with my hands and allow the water jacket to fill and for it to start peeing with just the water supplied from the hose. Then I can fire the motor and get it to pee. With a single muff maybe not enough water is getting in. Take it to the lake and see if it pees. It sounds like the repair you made was done correctly.

I ran it with the lower unit submerged in a tub of water as well as on the muffs. It has always pumped on the muffs for me

7. Member
    Only thing that I would do different is only put grease to hold woodruff key in shaft and on o-rings.
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapdatbass View Post
    I ran it with the lower unit submerged in a tub of water as well as on the muffs. It has always pumped on the muffs for me
    Well then something with your repair isn't right, or you have a blockage somewhere.

Isn’t there a water line from the pump to the upper housing. It’s been awhile but I seem to remember it’s right in front of the shift shaft. Would be easy to forget about and might cause your problem.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

10. Member
    +1 on upper hose at shaft. First time I did mine the rubber gasket sits between the upper water housing by the shat and the lower hose on lower unit were not seated correctly and my water pressure was low. If you were closer I'd offer to help you. I love to see them Ox66 still running on water.

11. Member
    Thanks for the help all. I was able to get a loaner boat for my tourney and I’ll be tearing the boat back apart this week to take a better look at the water line from the upper housing.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Junkie View Post
    Have you actually tested it in the lake?
    Well, come to find out my tub of water was not high enough. After triple checking everything I finally took it to the lake and it starting pumping water. Apparently the water level needed to be higher than the impeller. My question now is why did it all the sudden stop pumping water on muffs or in a tub of water when this engine has always pumped water in the driveway no problem?

13. Member
    I'd replace that impeller again. No telling what all that running with "possibly" no water passing through did to it. Possible heat damage?

14. Member
    Its been 2+ years with this same impeller and never any overheating issues. Still it's an inconvenience not being able to run the engine at home on muffs. I'd like to revisit this. Any ideas why it pumps strong on the lake but will not push water through the weep hole when hooked up to muffs (double intake muffs)????

15. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    What is your water PSI when running on the lake?
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

16. Member
    Have same motor does the same thing. Pump moves more water than you can supply at home. Can run mine at home enough to check things out before it gets alarm. On lake. 5 psi idling or less. Running 15 to 20 Water supply is the answer

Not sure if my lower unit is the same as yours but it does exactly the same thing. Running off of muffs not enough water to weep out of the pee holes. I won't run my V150TLRB off muffs any more, I just use a flush tub.
    My Suziki DF140 on my pontoon boat runs fine on the muffs, just not the Yamaha.

20201129_131335.jpg
    Last edited by Coach185; 12-16-2020 at 07:21 AM.
    2003 Stratos 185, Yamaha V150LTRB, Tempest Plus 25P

18. Member
    I believe the water tube is not mated correctly. Easy to miss on re assembly.