Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2015 V-20 Questions

Looking at buying a used V-20. Any major issues to look at. It has a small amount of deck sagging but I can live with it as long as it’s not structural. I read about some transom failures as well. Would you guys buy one? Thanks in advance.

Personally I wouldn’t buy any brand that is no longer in business. Warrenty issues will be a nightmare. As of now I’ve heard warrenty claims are backed up til Sept. 2019. Legend is a great boat but no way I’m spending that kind of money on a now defunct brand. If you absolutely want a Legend I’d look at a 211R which didn’t have any of the deck sagging issues.

3. Member
    No way. The 2015 V-20s had several issues. Plus if the deck is sagging you already know it has a significant issue.

4. Member
    I’ve owned a few Legend boats and they are fantastic boats though they are not perfect. PM me if you want and I will give you my phone number and can answer many questions you might have. I probably would ignor advice from some Ranger fan boy who’s boat was being built at the same time the first camera phone was invented.

5. Member
    The sagging deck is not a significant issue. Its caused by empty area around the center rod tubes that did not receive marine foam. They just simply spray some marine grade foam in the area and problems solved. Was a small number of 211's and Le21s that had transom issues but have not heard of any V20s experiencing this. Main issue with the 15s was some clear coat cracking around the front step. Was caused by hull flex from the wide body but nothing structural is failing. My 15 had this issue and has been fixed by Randy Qualls shop. Wrmg will honor warranty issues for owners. The backlog warranty work that was mentioned is for Randy's shop not wrmg. I wouldn't hesitate buying another as this is by far the best fit and finish in the industry. Love mine and have no intentions of getting rid of it anytime soon.

No way man...I had a 15 model V-20 and it cracked like an egg.

7. Member
    Crazy all of the mixed emotions on this boat. I really appreciate all the input fellas

8. Banned
    Most of them are bad emotions...

The small percentage of bad is always louder than the larger percentage of good.
    @captainmorganlegend

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Craigjc00 View Post
    I’ve owned a few Legend boats and they are fantastic boats though they are not perfect. PM me if you want and I will give you my phone number and can answer many questions you might have. I probably would ignor advice from some Ranger fan boy who’s boat was being built at the same time the first camera phone was invented.
    Insult me and my boat all you want, but at least it didn't crack like a hard-boiled egg and have a sagging deck. One other thing, Ranger is still in business. I don't come on here and bash Legend, I don't bash any brand for that matter. But I've seen you guys tell potential Legend boat buyers how great they are and deny the significant issues they've had. I considered buying a Legend a few years ago and was told how great they were myself. Then I did a little digging and found out a lot of 2015 V-20 owners were just trying to get rid of them they were so bad. You know that's the truth. The OP asked for an opinion, and I gave one.

11. Member
    I laid out the issues with the 15s did not hide them. All easily fixed under warranty. The guy who said his cracked like an egg has been on here whining for a long time. Have seen no others with issues like his which leads me to think some of his was from how he treated his V20.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieV20 View Post
    I laid out the issues with the 15s did not hide them. All easily fixed under warranty. The guy who said his cracked like an egg has been on here whining for a long time. Have seen no others with issues like his which leads me to think some of his was from how he treated his V20.
    I assume you are talking about me? Lol...The 2015 models were flawed. My boat was not mistreated and I wasn't the only one who had this issue. Many of those who had issues were at one point associated with this site and made similar posts as well. Honestly, I can't believe you would go as far as saying "Have seen no others with issues like his..." You have been posting on this forum for a long time and I'm certain that you have seen other's post about the cracking issue. I understand you still own your 2015 V20...Good for you...Glad you are happy with it but don't mislead others into a buying a flawed rig. I wouldn't touch a 2016 V20 either...I'm not sure they ever got it 100% right. It's a shame because the V20 had a lot of potential.

13. Member
    Yikes. Everyone is loyal to their brands and experiences with such. To the OP, if you want to purchase a Legend, just do your due Dilligence as you work through the sale. The facts are some of them may have issues as owners have said and the brand is out of business with little to no warranty for the second owner. Does not mean the boat you are looking at is going to fall apart or fall into that category. I know of many legends that are tip top. Just keep the known issues in your mind as you would any other major purchase.

I have been in those shoes before with a brand new purchase in 2002 when Viper went out. I was worried at first, but knew I had a good product and ran the boat for 8 years only to sell it for the sake of purchasing a new home at the time.

Good with your prospective purchase.

I thought 15's had a holeshot that was sluggish, I'm sure props can rectifie that but loose top end.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

15. Member
    Basser mine cracked around the front step and I openly said that. Happened to most of the 15's due to hull flex. Cosmetic issue not structural. Your problem with it cracking like an egg seemed to be way more than anyone else on here.

16. Member
    Fishysam the 15 V20s were slow out of the hole. The holeshot plate legend sent me and switching to a worked 24p fury 3 fixed this. My holeshot is around 2 seconds. Runs 71-73mph fully loaded with wot @5860 rpm.

"cracking like an egg" doesn't necessarily imply that the whole boat cracked all to pieces...I had cracks around the bow as well as the front step...There have been many others on this forum who have expressed their frustrations with the 15 model V20. Unfortunately, those posts are no longer available for those who are interested in buying a 15 model V20.

18. Member
    I don't think that all 2015 V20's had issues. I have seen one first hand that did. It was obvious that there was a lot of things going on with the boat. If you buy any boat, you need to look it over top to bottom. If you find a 2015 that has no apparent issues, then I would say you won't have any issues, unless the boat has all but no hours, and potential issues have not yet appeared. The areas to look at are around the radius near the cooler step and deck. As well, take a look at the console where it meets the gunwale.. If it's stressed cracked, you will be able to tell. As for the 2016, I have a late model year build (april 2016), prior to the 2017 model year change. There isn't a single crack in the boat, and it's been run plenty. I have approx 200 hrs.. Very very well built rig, looks like new, and fishes awesome. If you find one, and look it over, and buy it, you'll love the boat.

19. Member
    Chrisb is correct on the 15s. Early yr boats had more issue than the later yr.

20. Member
    Everyone can say what they want but here are the facts. The 2015 model V20's had problems with stress cracking in the top cap around the step and other turns witch is almost entirely cosmetic. The reason is the stringers in the hull needed some extra reinforcement to keep them from flexing. It was not a safety or structural problem. The sagging in the front deck is simply a foam density issue and also not structural. Both issues were resolved in the model years after 2015. They have been fixing boats that had warranty on them but as you can imagine this takes a while to do. White River since taking over is honoring the warranty and will continue to do so.

Second, it's sad that they won't continue to build them. The fit and finish is second to none and the general set up for storage and deck space is flat out awesome. I've had dozens of people in my boat in rough water and have been in dozens myself. Every one of them has said it is one of the best riding boats they have been in and certainly the most comfortable. The seats are crazy good! Are Rangers as good all around? Of course they are. Phoenix is right there too along with a few others but the fact is these are bad ass boats that do everything very well and I'd not hesitate a moment to buy another one! For me I prefer the V20 to other brands including Ranger but I'd own a Ranger too and not regret the decision. At the end of the day boat have issues all the time. I've had plenty of friends need their Rangers sent back along with a bunch of other brands. That doesn't mean they are junk and you shouldn't buy one. Same with motors. If anyone said that a certain brand of outboard doesn't blow up or break down they are flat out lying! Pick what you like and buy the damn thing!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast