Set Back on Xpress H18

I currently have a 6" manual jack plate on my Xpress H18 with a 115hp. I'm looking to switch to a hydraulic plate. What do you recommend I go with the setback, should I stick with 6" or should I go a little further back to maybe 8" or 10"?

2. Member
    I'll be following this. I recently purchased a 2010 H18 with a Yamaha 150 Vmax on a 10" jackplate. This thing sets heavy on the stern but runs really well. I've wondered about less setback possibly making it set less stern heavy but since it runs and handles so well, I'm scared to alter anything. What kind of speed you getting with the 115?

By myself I can get about 47, with a passenger about 45. I'm hoping with a plate and a higher pitch prop I can hit 50 or maybe a tad more. As far as the sitting heavy in the stern, I've heard several people say that about H18 with the 150 even with a 6" plate. All of them say the boat runs great with the 150, their only complaint is its harder to get into shallow water when idling.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy1985 View Post
    By myself I can get about 47, with a passenger about 45. I'm hoping with a plate and a higher pitch prop I can hit 50 or maybe a tad more. As far as the sitting heavy in the stern, I've heard several people say that about H18 with the 150 even with a 6" plate. All of them say the boat runs great with the 150, their only complaint is its harder to get into shallow water when idling.
    I have gotten 48 with 2 people, no jackplare and the 21p aluminum prop it came with.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

5. Member
    That's good speeds. Loaded with 2 people I can run 60. But, I always run 40-45. I'll open it up for a short stretch just to blow it out and that's it. That being said if I ever repower, I'll probably slap a 115 on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshrunner757 View Post
    That's good speeds. Loaded with 2 people I can run 60. But, I always run 40-45. I'll open it up for a short stretch just to blow it out and that's it. That being said if I ever repower, I'll probably slap a 115 on the back.
    Lol wanna trade? I’d slap a 150 on in a heartbeat. Boat runs great with the 115, but I always want to go faster.

7. Member
    Lol wanna trade? I’d slap a 150 on in a heartbeat. Boat runs great with the 115, but I always want to go faster.
    Lol. It is nice to have the speed. Outrun rain and such. I'd like to see a pic of yours setting in the water to compare.

Here's my old 18ft H56 with 10" set back. 150 Pro XS. She sits low in the back but I never had any issues. Ran like a spotted ape too.

Xpress X19/200SHO

I'm going out this weekend. I'll get a pic of it in the water.

10. Member
    I'm going out this weekend. I'll get a pic of it in the water.
    Thanks. I'll try and get one of mine as well.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bob View Post
    Here's my old 18ft H56 with 10" set back. 150 Pro XS. She sits low in the back but I never had any issues. Ran like a spotted ape too.

Sits about like mine. Great looking rig!