Considering selling my Ranger for an Allison

I am considering selling my 02 Ranger 185 with a 150 Merc XR6 and buying a nice used Allison 2003. Have seen some for sale without an outboard, hence this first question: Are the new four stroke Mercury outboards too heavy to install on these 20' hulls and if so, are the lower units that are available going to be suitable for these hulls? I have never ridden in an Allison but have always wanted one. Another question is, do these boats have flotation similar to the Ranger models? What might I be giving up when trading up to the Allison? What year did Allison start building their boats all composite (no plywood)? All responses are appreciated and I thank you in advance.
    David G

I have a 1994 year model. There are no XB-2003's that were built with plywood. It does have some wood pieces in it but none in the hull. I have had a 2.5 liter 200, 2.5 liter 260 and now a 225 Pro XS 3.0 liter. I have seen a lot for sale lately with motors. 90% of them have 225 Pro Max's on them. If I were you I would find a nice used Mercury 250XS with a sportmaster lower unit to go on one. You will be giving up fishability. The Ranger is a better fishing platform than the 2003. But, The Allison does everything else better. They have floatation encapsulated in the hull under the gunnels. No foam in the floor to get wet. Not real sure it would float when swamped like a ranger.

3. Moderator
    Allison's also have flotation in the two rear compartments in the boxed areas towards the outside rear corners.

I was (thinking) the Gov't passed a law some years back that they were required to have enough flotation to keep from "sinking" even if swamped.
    But I may have just read that on the world wide web.. You know.. fake news !!

5. Member
    I can attest that they float when almost full of water. Probably not as high as a ranger though.

ya,but the downside to all that foam in a ranger,is when it gets wet,,,trouble
    Quote Originally Posted by big_o_tom View Post
    I can attest that they float when almost full of water. Probably not as high as a ranger though.

7. Member
    As far as the new 4 stroke motors go i think ive recently seen one on an XB03 somwhere on Facebook. I think it ran good but didnt have lower water pick up yet. There are some really nice ones for sale right now but as mentioned most will have a 225 promax or a 260. IF you are planing to run a newer motor it would better to purchase a hull only with no motor so that you dont have the headache of trying to sell the older motor to get what you want. If you were to find a motor you like the stock gear cases (without low water pickup) will do ok up to about 80. As other members have mentioned you will be giving up a little fishability however it will fish good but maybe not as good as a ranger would. In my opinion the hardest thing you would have to get used to will be crossing from the cockpit area to the front deck. It does take some getting used to. Before you make the plunge maybe find someone near you with a similar hull that you can ride in to get some first hand experience. One ride and you will have a for sale sign on that ranger i promise!