GPSMAP 7616xsv battery requirements

I just bought new boat with a GPSMAP 7616xsv at the console. I have a new Interstate marine cranking battery that 31M-AGM,800CCA and RC 190, Ag 100.

The 1st time I took it out the graph lasted 1/2 a day with me putting it in sleep mode. After that it started shutting down. When I tried to power it up again, it would just shut back down after the "I Agree" button was pressed. At home after I charged the batteries it powered up but when I bumped the starter it shutdown.
    I have 7612 and a smaller 7" unit at the bow. I did not have any problems with them.

Do I need a Lithium battery? Or is this a problem with unit? Any help on this would be appreciated.

2. Banned
    Mine was shutting down when I had a 1040xs. I just wired it direct to the battery and no more probelms. A friend said I did not have clean power and togo direct to the battery.

3. Member
    Thanks. I'm not sure how it's currently wired. I will look into it and see. I do know there is a very small red wire behind the unit with an in line fuse. Without the fuse if will not power up at all.

I have number 6 wire feeding each of mine. two 16's on the boat. No problems, I do watch the Voltage and start up the engine when it drops to 11.7 volts.

5. Member
    The 7616 has a typical current draw of 3.8 amps and rated as 5.2 amps maximum. If your installer hooked it up to existing boat wire bundle. Chances are the power wires are too small. In that smaller diameter wires have more resistance to current flow. I never use my cranking battery for my electronics.

To figure out how big a battery you need. Honestly figure how long you stay out on typical trip. Say its 12 hours you should use a bare minimum 60 AH rated battery. I always like to use at least 25% more than what specs call for. So if we figure 75 AH rated battery. Using the max draw figure it should last @ 15 hours.

If you know someone versed in electronics or you can diy. Take a load reading with an ammeter to determine actual amperage draw. Also use at least 10 gauge wiring for your 7616. Some even use 8 gauge to be especially sure.
    Helix Mega 10 SI G2N , ILink
    Garmin 1040 XS / Garmin 1242 xsv with Panoptix Down VU PS 30 W/ GCV 10 networked with PS 31. Boat Rig

Echomap Ultra 106 SV with Livescope 12 . Ice Rig

6. Member
    Thank you!

7. Member
    What size battery are you using and is it also your cranking battery?