Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar

Lightbulb Quick Draw tip......

Posted this above but not sure if anyone is seeing it......just a little tip of what i figured out while mapping an area in the local river off the main channel.

Got out today and mapped an area of the local river with QD.....for the ones that use QD you may have noticed that the contours along the banks will be perpendicular to the bank which is not correct.....while mapping figured out a little trick that will help out some.......i trolled parallel to the bank as shallow as i could get, then once i was done around the banks i start graphing perpendicular to the banks and as i would do that it would adjust most of the contours to be parallel like they should......there will still be some areas where contours will be perpendicular but thats just the nature of the beast.

Here are some screen shots of what i'm talking about.....

Here is a gap that was filling, as you can see the perpendicular contours are along a rock revetment.

After QD fills the gap it pushes the contours closer to the bank and places them parallel.

YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

2. Member
    Nice!!! Jeremy will you be uploading it to the community ?
    Miya probably been asked but I wonder why more people don’t share? It doesn’t give away any waypoints or “secret holes” haha

3. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I have uploaded some recordings to the community already.....in fact that recording above was uploaded....i have the Insight Genesis account and always uploaded my recordings on it, of course at the time that was the only way to get a map......

I think both ways about uploads....i put up recordings in hopes that others will cause i cant do a whole lake on my own and dont have the time to......but there are others that have the attitude of my gas/my time no way in hell i'm gonna help others....so it is what it is...last couple of trips i made i did not upload....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

4. Member
    Nice!

Btw, anybody has somewhat figured out how they processed where the contour lines would be? From my understanding, all they got from the recordings are x,y,z coordinates and then interpolate them accordingly to the surrounding areas.

My best guess if I were to program the algorithm would probably be:
    1) get xyz coordinates
    2) do the depth contour shading thing - topography colouring (available open source)
    3) somehow get the boundary coordinates where the colors intersect
    4) adjust/approximate as necessary.

Why bother, you ask? I have access to hydrosurveyor's data (x,y,z coordinates) and wondering if it is possible to convert to quickdraw format and upload it to a garmin MFD.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mosin View Post
    Nice!

Btw, anybody has somewhat figured out how they processed where the contour lines would be? From my understanding, all they got from the recordings are x,y,z coordinates and then interpolate them accordingly to the surrounding areas.

My best guess if I were to program the algorithm would probably be:
    1) get xyz coordinates
    2) do the depth contour shading thing - topography colouring (available open source)
    3) somehow get the boundary coordinates where the colors intersect
    4) adjust/approximate as necessary.

Why bother, you ask? I have access to hydrosurveyor's data (x,y,z coordinates) and wondering if it is possible to convert to quickdraw format and upload it to a garmin MFD.
    You Sir are like an aquatic ninja!