Gas tank storage & how long will fuel keep

Have a 38gal tank on the Ranger 188vs. It's got the Stabil 360 marine additive in it. Been constantly keeping the tank full to combat the water build up from the ehanol. If the original gas in the bottom was from almost a year ago is it better to rack off the gas from the tank & start fresh in the spring or it;ll be ok to let it set over the winter?
    "Bet on a Vet, You Both Win"

2021 Ranger RB190
    Mercury 115 Pro XS

I use startron and let 36 gallons sit for a year and a half and had no problems running it in my optimax.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

3. Member
    Take this for what it's worth but I have some gas in my generator that's between 4 and 10 years old. All I added was stabil marine treatment and that thing starts everytime. Now it might crap out next time I try but I've been lucky so far. One year old gas wouldn't bother me. It's not like it's in layers in there per when you put it in, it's all mixed up so it should be fine

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    Take this for what it's worth but I have some gas in my generator that's between 4 and 10 years old. All I added was stabil marine treatment and that thing starts everytime. Now it might crap out next time I try but I've been lucky so far. One year old gas wouldn't bother me. It's not like it's in layers in there per when you put it in, it's all mixed up so it should be fine
    I have 2 Honda 2000 generators and they are picky. Left gas in one for 2 months and had to take the carb apart to clean it out.

Fuel in boat is 6 months with Quicksilver treatment and it runs fine.

5. Joe4d
    before ethanol, I had no problems with fuel in in my 2 stroke, just added the old red stabil and let it sit a year ran fine. After E10 ? rescue boats had fits with fuel sitting. Yahmaha outboards ,, month or so and was PIA to get them running, added fuel water seperators helped but eventually talked management into buying Ethanol free fuel.
    GAs gummed up my generator after about 4 months, turned yellow. and that was with stabil which I dont think does anything any more.
    For my generator, I empty it add a squirt of 2 stroke oil,, tip it up and run it till it dies. and keep it empty.
    Probably do something similar to my new boat if it was gonna sit. However I dont invision my boat sitting all that long. Fish year round in these parts.

6. Member
    When I put gas in my Ranger in Nov. to go fishing, I always double up on the Stabil Marine every time I put gas in it. Usually, depending on weather, it may sit till March. NEVER have had a gas related problem.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gfd View Post
    If the original gas in the bottom was from almost a year ago is it better to rack off the gas from the tank & start fresh in the spring or it;ll be ok to let it set over the winter?
    It's not like the "old" gas stays isolated. Every time you add it gets mixed in with the fresh and some burns off.

FWIW: I had a situation a few years ago when I didn't use my boat for a whole season. The gas was approximately 20 months old (non-ethanol and stabilized) when it went back in service. I topped off and ran it easy for the first half hour, but it ran just like it always does.