What your sonar should look like on plane. ;)

Depth in meters. 1 meter = 3 feet.

Going from 3 to 28 knots:

At 29 knots, notice the shoal of baitfish. At high speed it gets cramped into a vertical line:

Equipment used is Airmar TM150M, Sonarhub and HDS Gen 3. Boat is Starweld Fusion 16DC with Mercury 115 Pro XS. Main settings are auto sensetivity -4, fixed frequenzy 105 kHz, noisefilter off, surfacefilter low, A-scope on and scroll at 1/2.

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Sonar return it to clean to be a shoot thru installation?.?.?. Am i correct???

But yes, if installed correctly (shoot thru or skimmer) should get good screen readings.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    Correct, these are with Airmar TM150M which is a transom mount.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Colibri View Post
    Correct, these are with Airmar TM150M which is a transom mount.
    Do you think the tm150M provides you with "better" returns than the lowrance 83/200 ducer? Thinking about installing one to go with my carbon on the transom. Hopefully it will be beneficial.
    Sacred Heart of Mary, pray for us now, and at the hour of our death. AMEN
    O blood and water which gush forth from the heart of Jesus, have mercy on us
    For the sake of his sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and the whole world

5. Member
    TM150M is better then HST-WSBL (83/200) on all accounts but two. Price and on-plane readings at high speed. :) So yes, I think it is better.

6. Member
    Thanks for the information on the TM150

Depth in meters. 1 meter = 3 feet.

Going from 3 to 28 knots:

At 29 knots, notice the shoal of baitfish. At high speed it gets cramped into a vertical line:

Equipment used is Airmar TM150M, Sonarhub and HDS Gen 3. Boat is Starweld Fusion 16DC with Mercury 115 Pro XS. Main settings are auto sensetivity -4, fixed frequenzy 105 kHz, noisefilter off, surfacefilter low, A-scope on and scroll at 1/2.
    Erik, what is scroll speed 1/2 ??

USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Anti Submarine Warfare Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

8. Member
    like how your depth contour colors are arranged on chart.could you explain the steps used to get to that kind of look?i would like to try that.I have a Carbon with a airmar b-60 thruhull transducer.
    thanks
    john

9. Member
    I control both contours and isobaths when creating the map with Reefmaster. So both intervals and colours can be changed according to what I wish to achive.

10. Member
    thanks Team,i totally missed it!
    i was thinking the colors were while on the water.
    this was done after the fact by recording sonar, then put file on computer and run it on Reefmaster?
    good deals will give that a try.
    I just got a navionics card with sonar chart live and i think it will allow shading or contrast of different depths, i am gonna try soon.
    I imagine its just a matter of time before charting/sonar software will allow the displays to show this color schme while out on boat.
    john

11. Member
    Yes, tha is the way it works. Go out there and record sonar, then back home to process those sonarlogs on your PC and build a map. You can build a new map or add sonarlogs to your existing map to get better coverage or quality. I combine this with C-Map Genesis and with Navionics. On units with dual cardholders like HDS you can even se both your Reefmaster-map and your Navionics-map at the same time in splittscreen. And Genesis Live, the Live-mapping that does not work with Navionics, works with Reefmaster-maps.

Here I have my map, but I’m missing data for this part of the lake. So I’m recording sonar to cover that area, and while doing so I use Genesis Live (like you use Sonarcharts Live) to see if there is anything of spesial interest in the area.

Since I`m on a roll.... This is what the area looked like before my sonarlogging in the screenshot above:

Me out collecting data:

This is what it looked like after:

I also upload my sonarlogs to C-Map Genesis, and convert them to GPX so I can upload to Navionics and to HT for Humminbird as well. That way I ensure I always have plenty of mapping-options, so if one fails that is not a problem and I don`t end up locking myself to one brand of marine electronics either.
    Last edited by Team Colibri; 11-22-2018 at 03:36 AM.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnieG View Post
    Erik, what is scroll speed 1/2 ??
    Sorry Donnie, I missed your Q.

Scrollspeed at 1/2 means scrollspeed one notch down from the standard setting in any Lowrance-unit.

13. Member
    Thanks for sharing your technique out on the water Team.
    I see that i have a LOT of work to do!
    john

14. Member
    A few years back I organized a group that exchanges sonarlogs for this purpouse. So today I have great mapping covering most of the lakes I fish regularly. That kick-started my maps and saved me several thousand hours of sonarlogging. Basicly a local twist on Genesis Social Map. :D.

Sorry Donnie, I missed your Q.

Scrollspeed at 1/2 means scrollspeed one notch down from the standard setting in any Lowrance-unit.
    How & when does this benefit you? Boat speed,etc..

USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Anti Submarine Warfare Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

16. Member
    Scrollspeed says something about how fast the image on your sonar scrolls from right to left. Higher scroll means it will roll over your screen faster, and vice versa. Scrollspeed must be adjusted according to boatspeed, in order to have the image shown on your sonar reflect the correct shape (especially length) of whatever you have under your boat.

Example: Find yourself a know object that stands up from the bottom, like a treestump or rock. Pass over it idling with very fast scrollspeed, then repeat with very slow scrollspeed. In the first round that stump will be wide, it will look huge (horizontally), as the fast scrollspeed stretches the image. The second round, it will look very thin, maybe just covering one or two rows of pixels. Both images will be misleading, one showing the stump to thin and one showing the stump as wide as a dinnertable.

The same thing goes with fisharches. In the second screenshot in my first post in this thread I’m going quite fast, but with slow scrollspeed. The combined effect is that what really is a baitball, shows on my screen as just a thin vertical line. If I had done what I should, and increased scrollspeed to match my boatspeed, the baitball would have been displayed more correctly as a ball, and not a thin line.

One brand of sonar has a feature where scrollspeed is automatically adjusted according the boatspeed. That might not be such a bad idea. :)
    Last edited by Team Colibri; 11-22-2018 at 03:13 PM.

17. Member
    One brand of sonar has a feature where scrollspeed is automatically adjusted according the boatspeed. That might not be such a bad idea. :)
    That would be such an easy feature for them to enable, "auto" scrollspeed. Is there a patent or licensing issue that stops them from doing that? Manually changing your scroll speed based on your speed is pretty tedious.

18. Member
    I don’t know if Garmin has a patent on that feature or not.

19. Member
    Team,you mention running Reefmaster and Navionics together on splitscreen.So after creating Reefmaster color charts,I can take that back to boat and run it on the water?
    john

20. Member
    Yes.

As long as your unit has to cardreaders (like HDS has) you could run Navionics in one and Reefmaster in the other, and show both on your chartplotter as splittscreen side-by-side. I don`t have any screenshots of this handy, but I have done it several times.

Charts from Reefmaster (or any other program that can export shapefiles) can be made into the AT5-format your Lowrance or Simrad chartplotter uses. This is done with a free program called Insight Map Creator, and the whole process is controlled from Reefmaster so it`s seamless and easy. Reefmaster is probably not the way to go for the completely digital-blinde, but if you are digital enough to move files around on your computer then you basicly have what it takes. The manual for Reefmaster and a few evenings with trial & error will do the rest. (Yes, one has to read the manual in this case - no way aorund it.)
    Last edited by Team Colibri; 11-27-2018 at 06:52 AM.