Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2019 250R anyone?

Anyone with feedback that has one yet?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Won't really be a "2019" as Mercury doesn't use years.

I understand that a couple guys on here have run the 250R... so let's see who chimes in with real-owner info.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    I have a 250R on my fishing boat. I like it. Any particular question I may can answer for you?

What boat do you have it on? Any particular likes/dislikes over prior engines you've had?

Thanks Woody

5. Member
    Friend has one. Fished a tournament Saturday, motor went into guardian mode shortly after blast off. Monitor listed a high voltage alarm. He disconnected the alternator lead and limped back to the dock. No further details, other than it was a brand new group 31 agm.

He has been in love up to this point

That sucks

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by white gambler View Post
    What boat do you have it on? Any particular likes/dislikes over prior engines you've had?

Thanks Woody
    I have a Allison XB21 XST tournament fishing boat and replaced my 300XS Mercury with this 250R. I have no regrets. Lee Sanderson at Sanderson Marine ordered it on time and I received it on delivery date Lee quoted. I've run the piss out of it with no problems as of now. Thanks to Lee for great installation job. This 250R engine is much more enjoyable for fishing which I do most. It has lots of torque, better hole shot, no buying oil, no buying 93 octane, fuel consumption is good if you keep your foot out of it. Its not as fast as my 300XS at WOT but will scare the he!! out of it. LOL Its not going to be any faster at WOT than a 250 OPTI on the same boat. However, you will most likely be the first to your fishing hole because the OPTI will never catch you. IT BE GONE. Hope this helps. Thanks, Woody

Oh Yea.........dislikes......... I'm still struggling over the cowling design. However, the performance makes it look better every time I go fishing. LOL See Ya, Woody
    Last edited by Woody22; 09-19-2018 at 08:38 AM.

I think it really says something that you replaced a 300 with a 250 and are that impressed!!

9. Member
    I have one on a new Phoenix 920. Really no comparision to my previous 2s. (Yes, I put a torquemaster on it)

how many hrs you have on it Phillips?

11. Member
    I have one on a Falcon 205 and yes it is registered as a 2019. Starts and runs great, awesome holeshot and torque. I thought this would be a 70+mph boat but at this time 67mph is my top speed running a 4 blade Fury 24 with 5800 being my max rpm. Really super happy with every aspect. The fact that it can pop up on pad with 50 gallons of fuel, full livewells, partner and gear is amazing. I can live with 67. Mine has been flawless.

Quote Originally Posted by fuelleak View Post
    I have one on a Falcon 205 and yes it is registered as a 2019. Starts and runs great, awesome holeshot and torque. I thought this would be a 70+mph boat but at this time 67mph is my top speed running a 4 blade Fury 24 with 5800 being my max rpm. Really super happy with every aspect. The fact that it can pop up on pad with 50 gallons of fuel, full livewells, partner and gear is amazing. I can live with 67. Mine has been flawless.
    Good to hear. How many hrs have you put on it?

13. Member
    Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody22 View Post
    I have a Allison XB21 XST tournament fishing boat and replaced my 300XS Mercury with this 250R. I have no regrets. Lee Sanderson at Sanderson Marine ordered it on time and I received it on delivery date Lee quoted. I've run the piss out of it with no problems as of now. Thanks to Lee for great installation job. This 250R engine is much more enjoyable for fishing which I do most. It has lots of torque, better hole shot, no buying oil, no buying 93 octane, fuel consumption is good if you keep your foot out of it. Its not as fast as my 300XS at WOT but will scare the he!! out of it. LOL Its not going to be any faster at WOT than a 250 OPTI on the same boat. However, you will most likely be the first to your fishing hole because the OPTI will never catch you. IT BE GONE. Hope this helps. Thanks, Woody

Oh Yea.........dislikes......... I'm still struggling over the cowling design. However, the performance makes it look better every time I go fishing. LOL See Ya, Woody

Woody how much speed did you lose??
    Last edited by spider1; 09-20-2018 at 09:04 AM.

14. Member
    I think around ~6 hours so far

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spider1 View Post
    Woody how much speed did you lose??
    Maybe 3 mph and possibly none if you consider the factors. Meaning my 300XS/1.62 gears with full fish load and live well full requires a 27-29 prop for a slow to decent hole shot and struggled at that in hot weather and tops out about 89-92 mph. Whereas this 250R/1.75 gears with same load is running 29-30 pitch prop and will plane off much faster and be gone almost putting my 30 promax and 29 hydro on the limiter at 6200 topping out 88-90 mph. Because of this, my 250R will be so far ahead, it would take a long distance to for the 300XS to run me down. Now with being said, I can put my 32 performer on my 300XS with live wells empty and line em up from lets say 5-10 mph rolling start and the 250R with my 30 promax would pull away fast until the the 300XS gets stretch out and the 250R will but running 90 and the 300 will be around 96. Knowing what I know now after hours of testing, I can assure you if the 300R has as much torque as my 250R and assuming it does, Its top speed will be very close to the top speed of the 300XS. However, it will be so far ahead getting to that top speed that you want be able to follow the wake. LOL Well maybe not that far but in front. I do hope this 250R is a tough as my 300XS. Only time will tell. I hope I answered your question so that you understand the difference in how they perform. See Ya, Woody

Quote Originally Posted by Woody22 View Post
    Maybe 3 mph and possibly none if you consider the factors. Meaning my 300XS/1.62 gears with full fish load and live well full requires a 27-29 prop for a slow to decent hole shot and struggled at that in hot weather and tops out about 89-92 mph. Whereas this 250R/1.75 gears with same load is running 29-30 pitch prop and will plane off much faster and be gone almost putting my 30 promax and 29 hydro on the limiter at 6200 topping out 88-90 mph. Because of this, my 250R will be so far ahead, it would take a long distance to for the 300XS to run me down. Now with being said, I can put my 32 performer on my 300XS with live wells empty and line em up from lets say 5-10 mph rolling start and the 250R with my 30 promax would pull away fast until the the 300XS gets stretch out and the 250R will but running 90 and the 300 will be around 96. Knowing what I know now after hours of testing, I can assure you if the 300R has as much torque as my 250R and assuming it does, Its top speed will be very close to the top speed of the 300XS. However, it will be so far ahead getting to that top speed that you want be able to follow the wake. LOL Well maybe not that far but in front. I do hope this 250R is a tough as my 300XS. Only time will tell. I hope I answered your question so that you understand the difference in how they perform. See Ya, Woody
    Woody have you heard any details as to when a "flash" will be available for the 4 stroke to make it a 300?
    --------------------------------------------
    Phillip Arrington
    Dover/Goodlettsville Tn

2017 Sponsoring Partners:
    C&O Marine, Mercury Marine, Goodlettsville Gun Shop, Cantrell's Market, Motorguide , YETI, Carrot Stix, Yum, GateWay Tire Service Center, StormR, SpoolTek, RodSox, Jewel Bait Company, U.S. Bass, Bobs Machine Shop, Lazyman Hooks, FishBum, Bass Militia, Rayus, and Jenko Fishing.

1999 Triton TR-21PD
    Mercury 300R

17. Member
    That’s real good news for the new 250r—300r. I’m going from a 300xs to the new 300r and I’m curious to know what difference it’ll make. I’ve been talking to a guy who has one on a xrs and he’s impressed, compared to his 250 flashed sho. He said that the 300r will outperform his 250sho in everything from holeshot to mid and top end. My only concern is finding the correct prop and trying to keep it together since you have to run it surfaced for best results.

18. Member
    I've got a 300r ready to be bolted to my 21ss, as soon as my new jackplate comes in. I'll have additional information coming very soon.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GLOCKMEISTER View Post
    Woody have you heard any details as to when a "flash" will be available for the 4 stroke to make it a 300?
    No. And may not be. If not, I'm gonna enjoy what I have. If so, I'm gonna throw all I can at it. Patiently waiting. Lol
    Woody

Talked with a rep. He said the 300R is a manchild, real deal. The 250R, not quit as impressive, but still a nice engine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast