Thread: The new jeep JL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The new jeep JL

I've been a "jeeper" most of my adult life, owned 5 of them, still have 2 of those. Coming home from Knoxville today I saw some new jeeps at a dealer and pulled in to check them out.
    Well let's just say that I am very impressed with the 2.0. It moved the 4 door pretty good. Although my jeeps are very basic, no frills one does have a radio. The new jeeps are loaded with everything you can imagine. Driving down the interstate at 75 felt like I was in my silverado. I think they have evolved rather nicely, kinda makes me want one.....until of course you look at the 56k sticker price.

Amber and I have been looking as well. Very impressive..
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

3. Member
    Looked at them and Grand Cherokee ended up with a new 4Runner TRD Premium.
    2016 Lowe FS 1710
    2016 Mercury Pro XS 115

4. Joe4d
    Had a 98 wrangler in HI,, was pretty decent, 4 banger, stick no frills.. Way they should be,, BUT they gotta add tons of gizmos and jack up the price on everything these days.

5. Georgia Bass Club Moderator fishnfool38's Avatar
    I'm having a hard time with some of the changes and loving some of the others. Body lines not really loving it yet but I'm always a little slow coming on board with this. 2.0T option nope not for me! I hope they don't discontinue the 3.6 option, Pentastar is a great motor. 8 speed tranny really digging it, wish my 2015 had it. 35's capable stock, cool...all vehicles should have this option.

You said $56k?
    I gave $42k brought it home pulled the complete suspension including springs, control arms, shocks, bump stops, track bar front and rear with brackets, tie rod, drag link, ball joints, sway bar links etc...plus tires, wheels, hood, fender flares, bumpers, step bars, head lights, tail lights, parking lights, fog lights, fender liners, gears, gear carriers, drive shaft, grill, speakers, floor mats, tire carrier, brake lines, differential covers etc... Threw and gave it all away. Rebuilt with quality aftermarket and custom products. It would be hard to start with a $56k vehicle then throw half of it away!

With that said love my jeep and 3.6 adding supercharger soon. If the motor ever wears out it is getting a LS swap. And will be passed down to family as we will never sell this one...can't afford to!

Need to go back to when the passenger seat is an option!

7. Member
    56 large for a Jeep?
    I will stick with my mid-level trucks.........oh wait..........they are close to 50 large also...............

8. T Dub
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfool38 View Post
    I'm having a hard time with some of the changes and loving some of the others. Body lines not really loving it yet but I'm always a little slow coming on board with this. 2.0T option nope not for me! I hope they don't discontinue the 3.6 option, Pentastar is a great motor. 8 speed tranny really digging it, wish my 2015 had it. 35's capable stock, cool...all vehicles should have this option.

You said $56k?
    I gave $42k brought it home pulled the complete suspension including springs, control arms, shocks, bump stops, track bar front and rear with brackets, tie rod, drag link, ball joints, sway bar links etc...plus tires, wheels, hood, fender flares, bumpers, step bars, head lights, tail lights, parking lights, fog lights, fender liners, gears, gear carriers, drive shaft, grill, speakers, floor mats, tire carrier, brake lines, differential covers etc... Threw and gave it all away. Rebuilt with quality aftermarket and custom products. It would be hard to start with a $56k vehicle then throw half of it away!

With that said love my jeep and 3.6 adding supercharger soon. If the motor ever wears out it is getting a LS swap. And will be passed down to family as we will never sell this one...can't afford to!
    Holy Shnikes! Why not just build an older jeep from the frame up?

9. Georgia Bass Club Moderator fishnfool38's Avatar
    Cuzz she wanted a new jk 4dr for daily driver, I dont do stock very well, wasn't impressed. The list above was just the changed stuff not added stuff.

10. Member
    98 Tj, V6, bolt action, I just re geared, have 4" supension lift 2" body on 35x12.5 bfgood wrecnch mud terrains did the work myself. Have some smitty built flat fenders on order, and this is one the few jeeps this old that is 100% rust free and unmolested. I never 4wheel it i use the Polaris ranger for that.

11. Banned
    I like the new Wrangler. I really like what they've done with the stock suspension. Beefed up everything important. What I don't like is that they've over-complicated the interior and made it too damn nice. Especially on a Rubicon model, which I'd be in the market for. There's too much going on and made it harder to clean. I wheel my Jeep's and the JL is a no go for me. I'll be sticking with my '12 JK Rubicon for the time being.

12. T Dub
    Quote Originally Posted by ajZX225 View Post
    98 Tj, V6, bolt action, I just re geared, have 4" supension lift 2" body on 35x12.5 bfgood wrecnch mud terrains did the work myself. Have some smitty built flat fenders on order, and this is one the few jeeps this old that is 100% rust free and unmolested. I never 4wheel it i use the Polaris ranger for that.
    ....?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkkky View Post
    Looked at them and Grand Cherokee ended up with a new 4Runner TRD Premium.
    Something about driving something that has TRD on it...

Quote Originally Posted by T Dub View Post
    ....?
    All show no go lol

Personally, I don't really care for the new JL but I REALLY like the 2012-2018 JKU Rubicons. I had a 2014 JKU Sport that I traded off for my Tundra 2 years ago and although I have no intention of getting rid of my Tundra, I do plan to re-purchase another JKU (2018 JKU Rubicon this time) as soon as my truck is paid off. On a side note, I can't imagine soaking $20k into Jeep upgrades and not taking it off road though, I guess it's all a matter of personal taste.

Supposed to be a JL based pickup released in 2020. Scrambler style I assume.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    All show no go lol
    Absolutely even though its old it still looks show room id rather sell it and get one that's already beat up for wheeling and I hate wrenching on stuff. The Polaris rarely breaks and is easier to work on and I bought that just to take off road, plus I bought it already tore up so I got it super cheap.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Personally, I don't really care for the new JL but I REALLY like the 2012-2018 JKU Rubicons. I had a 2014 JKU Sport that I traded off for my Tundra 2 years ago and although I have no intention of getting rid of my Tundra, I do plan to re-purchase another JKU (2018 JKU Rubicon this time) as soon as my truck is paid off. On a side note, I can't imagine soaking $20k into Jeep upgrades and not taking it off road though, I guess it's all a matter of personal taste.
    Mall crawler, they have some pretty big curbs. lol

I have never owned a jeep but I sure do like a good looking 4 door wrangler .

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post
    Supposed to be a JL based pickup released in 2020. Scrambler style I assume.
    My 1st Jeep was a pickup, back in the 80's... Jeep Honcho, that thing was totally bad ass!! ...well, until I totaled it anyway. I only hope they are built as well as the J20 I had with Dana 44's front and back. Mine looked about like the one below, man I sure miss that thing. It wouldn't go over about 60 mph, but it would it had the torque to pull down a mid sized building, friggin awesome!

https://www.google.com/search?q=jeep...EkmFv0ZfpVY0M:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast