Bad Gas question?

So I filled up my Bayliner runabout with bad gas. It runs fine and then every once in a while and I choke a little bit and sputter.
    Its 50 gallon tank. The motor is at 150 mercury four stroke about a 2013 model. Question is is there an additive I can just add to the tank that will get the water or whatever it is out or do I need to completely drain the tank?

Maybe Quick Clean? Or Sea Foam?
    --------------------------------------------
    Phillip Arrington
    Dover/Goodlettsville Tn

2017 Sponsoring Partners:
    C&O Marine, Mercury Marine, Goodlettsville Gun Shop, Cantrell's Market, Motorguide , YETI, Carrot Stix, Yum, GateWay Tire Service Center, StormR, SpoolTek, RodSox, Jewel Bait Company, U.S. Bass, Bobs Machine Shop, Lazyman Hooks, FishBum, Bass Militia, Rayus, and Jenko Fishing.

1999 Triton TR-21PD
    Mercury 300R

2. Member
    Sea Foam would be my first try.

Methinks you're too late. Drain the tank, change the fuel filter, and clean the carb. Put in fresh fuel and treat with startron.
    Think what would happen in this country if the many stopped fearing the few.

2015 RT 178 w/70hp Yamaha.

Drain it and install new fuel filter

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

how in the world did you get bad gas? i guess you won't be going back to that station .

Perhaps you filled up right after a new load got dumped at the station and stirred up sediment. I'd start with checking and changing the filter. See what happens from there. Start with cheapest and simplest.

7. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Start at the engine and work back. Take the filter off, if it’s plastic open it up and see what’s in there. Put some gas in a mason jar and see if water is in the gas or if there is sediment.

A Bayliner runabout probably has a water separator, how does it look?

Identify the cause before you go chasing your tail, just my .02
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    Start at the engine and work back. Take the filter off, if it’s plastic open it up and see what’s in there. Put some gas in a mason jar and see if water is in the gas or if there is sediment.

A Bayliner runabout probably has a water separator, how does it look?

Identify the cause before you go chasing your tail, just my .02
    The jar test is important. If you have a good size water separator/filter it should trap some if not all contaminants. Is it ethanol fuel and how old is it?