Thread: Help!

Help!

How do I aerate the water that is in the well, without bringing fresh water in from the lake??

2. Member
    When I press the auto or manual aerator rocker switch, it pumps new water in the well

should I have the red valve in the live well pulled out??

3. Member
    Sounds like you need to hit the recirc switch (on mine, has pump out on the same switch, and I need to pull the valve out to allow it to pump). My recirc/pump out switch is the far right hand switch on my pads.
    Nitro Z6 Optimax115 Elite HDI5 Bow 5x Pro Console

4. Member
    Yes, so is there a way to keep the recirc. on a timer? (I have the basic rocker switches)

5. Member
    Think the Aerator has a timer, by putting it on auto (manual keeps it on), but don't think the recirc does (I dont fish tourny's, so I dont use my livewells pretty much at all).
    Nitro Z6 Optimax115 Elite HDI5 Bow 5x Pro Console

6. Member
    Yea thats what I thought at first, but the auto pumps new water in when it goes on..........I am trying to keep my wells at a certain temp when carrying some of those big smallmouth around....surface temp is real hot and don't want to pump that hot water in throughout the day...I just wanted to aerate the water that i pump in in the morning.

I am not familiar with Nitro livewells but I am sure they are like most other bass boats. You have a control valve switch that open/close the drain. Typically it is located somewhere near the gearshift or in the area to the right of the driver's seat. If you do not have the open/close lever then you will have a drain plug in the bottom of the livewell. There has to be a way to open or close the drain. This is the only two set ups I have seen to open/close a livewell.

Your livewell should also have an overflow drain near the top. This is so water will not overfill.

The rocker switch set to auto or manual...Manual simply means the pump runs 24/7 and auto is on a timer. Most set in auto are on for 30 seconds off 2 minutes then back on for 30 second and keep repeating the sequence.

Typically you have two pumps. One is called a fill pump that simply puts water in the livewell. The other is called a recirculation pump which will recirculate water. Both pumps are on individual rocker switches that can be set to manual or auto. (I described how that works already). If for some reason you only have one pump/rocker switch then this means you have a valve inside your livewell that needs to be set to recirculate or bring in fresh water. Now you can have two pumps and still have a valve inside the livewell. This is the pump out feature. In one position (in/out?) it recirculates water and in the other it pumps water out of the livewell. In reply #4 you said switches not switch so I will assume you have two pumps and both are on separate switches. Based on the red knob you described it sounds as if you have pump out. If you have two rocker switches then one labeled recirculate will circulate water with the knob in one position ( in/out I can't remember). Anyways in the other position it will pump water out of the livwell. Typically you have a exit port on the side of the boat near where your bilge exits water overboard. If the red knob is set to pump out you will see water exiting the boat. This is a feature most tournament anglers like. You can fill your bag with water by simply standing beside the boat and catching it in the bag. You will not have to bend over and catch it in the drain that comes out the bottom of the transom under the big motor.

I know that was a long reply and hopefully it helped more than it confused you. I think your problem is in your valve settings because auto and manual is simply how long the pump runs. Once you get the valve set in the correct position all you have to do is decide if you want them to run manual all the time or run auto for timer on/off running...The next time your on the water experiment with your valve settings. It should not be that hard to figure out...
    Last edited by JR19; 09-17-2018 at 11:19 PM.

Well model of boat matters, which one do u have? Z20 and Z21, just hit the recirc switch. Z18/19 I think has a button you have to push inside the livewell.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

9. Member
    Not to hijack, but on a Z19 (assuming that model matters) is it possible to run the aerator (pumping fresh water in from the lake) and the pump-out/recirc (pumping tepid water out into the lake) simultaneously (and pretty much off and on every 5 minutes or so)? I want to use the livewell on my new boat exclusively as a shad/bait tank for striper fishing. Shad foul the water and very quickly die unless (i) water is constantly exchanged or (ii) the system is retrofitted with a bunch of filtration... Thx.

10. Member
    Thanks JR!!