1998 Evinrude 130 Check Engine Light

I have a 1998 Evinrude 130 hp outboard that the past two times I've taken it out have had the check engine light and alarm go off. It didn't happen when I first started it or even the second or third time I started it. After that it would go off every time. The motor started and ran with no issues. The service manual suggests a fuel issue. I don't know where to start to investigate the problem. I have an in line filter that is the size of a car oil filter. I've installed a new fuel line from the tank to the motor with a new squeeze bulb. The arrow is pointed in the right direction. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Thanks.

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    The fuel system's vacuum draw isn't monitored on your motor by the system check system. It must be coming from something else.

3. Scraps
    Water in the fuel? Change the separator??
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Very often when a SystemCheck gauge goes bad, the check engine light comes on. I don't know why that is the case as it is always the check engine indicator, none of the others. As my esteemed colleague mentioned earlier, there is no check engine sender or system on your motor, if you are absolutely sure that it is a 1998 130 hp.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

5. Member
    Sorry I have a 1996 E130TLEDM. If it is the SystemCheck gauge, are they available and where would I purchase one? Can a person with limited abilities remove and install this component? Thanks.

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Yes you can do it. See if your local dealer has one in stock if not they can order one for you. Or if you prefer you can look online or try Ebay.

7. Member
    Just replaced mine off of Ebay - seller was GreakLakesSkipper - was less than $50

8. Member
    Thanks for the great information! I will try to purchase the part online and install it myself.

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Any questions you have just come back here.