Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What should I upgrade...need advice

Here’s my scenario, I have a 2003 Triton TR20. Boat is in great shape. I’m trying to decide what to upgrade. Here’s where I’m stuck. Should I upgrade the outboard, trolling motor, or new electronics? I fish...in a good month, 4-5 times considering I work and have a 13/11 year old with weekend sports obligations.

Here’s what I currently have:

03 Mercury 200 EFI. Compression is 110/115 on all cylinders. 750 hours. No problems with the motor. Boat is rated for 225 so if i repower I would get a 225 with somewhere in the 400 hour range, since I’m not looking to drop several thousand dollars. I could trade mine in and pay the difference. With the amount I fish, is it worth it or do I just keep running it until there is an issue? When I fish I probably run the outboard 20-30 minutes total during the trip.

Currently have an 80# MK Maxxum. It works fine. However, my friend has an Ultrex and I love how much more enjoyable that makes fishing.

Electronics. I have Gen 1 HDS10 & Gen 2 HDS7 and Hook 9. LSS2 transducer & structure scan. Everything works fine. This is probably the least needed of the three. I fish the same reservoir 90% of the time so I know the spots I like to fish.

Thanks in in advance for your input!

2. Member
    Upgrade the trolling motor. I upgraded to a Xi5 this spring and once I figured it out I'd never go back to a cable steer. It's made my fishing much more enjoyable.

3. Member
    You have a good boat and a bulletproof engine, good trolling motor and electronics. I wouldn't change a thing. Take whatever you would spend, sock it away for when the engine goes, and it will at some point.

4. Member
    What printman said - if you "have" to upgrade anything, I'd go with the Ultrex however!
    Nitro Z6 Optimax115 Elite HDI5 Bow 5x Pro Console

Ultrex. FWIW, I wouldn’t call getting another used engine an upgrade.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

6. Member
    Sell it now while everything is working. Then buy a newer (10 years) rig. That is the only update I would do.

7. Member
    i agree keep using as is and put money back for when engine lets loose.
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

8. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Personally I wouldn’t change a thing! Maybe there are some aesthetic things you can fix, rewire some stuff to make it cleaner but frankly that’s a great boat, motor and electronics. Maybe upgrade some tackle?
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Have the injectors professionally cleaned and keep that engine running for a long time. biggest reason for blown up efi engines is dirty/clogged injectors causing lean run condition. Otherwise they are pretty bullet proof.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

10. Member
    Does the maxxum have lift assist? If not id definately upgrade that. Ive upgraded to maxxums to fortrexes (before ultrex released) on my last 2 boats. When i got my newer boat with a maxum it only took me a week before i was unhappy and had it switched out. Hated having to drag it up. Id say of the options the trolling motor makes the most sense.

The devil you know is better than one you don't, keep your outboard,
    get an ultrex
    your graphs are fine
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

If everything's good, keep the $ in your slush fund. Soon, as you spend on something - something else will go to h..l. Been doing that for a 'few' years and has worked out well (tune of about $10k on-hand and what the wife don't know don't hurt her).

13. Member
    Buy the ultrex and enjoy it.

14. Member
    Personally I would look at the age of your batteries. If more than 4 years old, I would replace all of them for reliability. Go with the ones with the most reserve amp hours and I really like the Cabelas group 30 or 31 AGMs. Then I would replace the trolling motor to whatever you want. I like the idea of having spot lock personally and it will be on my next TM, probably a MK Riptide Terrova.
    Your electronics seems fine to me. They are not too outdated, work good and you know how they work.

As for your engine, I would consider finding a really good Merc mechanic. Have him replace all the fuel lines to the newer ethanol resistant line (unless you have done that already). I would have him replace the line with the primer bulb too. Stay with a factory one. Replace your ignition wires and plugs, any fuel filters you may have, replace the fuel lift pump (diaphragm pump), the water pump, and inspect the lower unit to see if the seals should be replaced. For the amount of time you put on the motor, you would not save a ton of money on the better fuel mileage a newer designed motor would give you. Those EFI engines were super reliable also. Make sure to run a good fuel treatment like Star Tron as well. My wife and I have owned 11 boats in 40+ years. My 1998 Procraft had a 200 EFI Merc on it. By far the best outboard I have ever owned.

I almost forgot the trailer. Inspect your tires. If they are more than 5 or 6 years old I would consider replacing them. I would upgrade the trailer lights to LEDS for better visibility and you might even consider adding back up lights to the trailer. They are a lot of help when launching at night/early AM in the dark. I recently replaced my Lowe trailer with a new Load Rite galvanized trailer. I chose to add the side pole with the led light on top. Boy are they nice to have in the dark. Easy to see where the back of the trailer is when changing lanes or when backing down a steep ramp in the dark.

Save the rest of your money in case something goes bad later on. I would consider a good 4 stroke if I replaced a failed outboard motor.

15. Member
    36 volt trolling motor and lithium batteries. Everything else is already good. The troller you will feel the difference fishing and the light lithuim batteries you will feel on holeshot.

Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    36 volt trolling motor and lithium batteries. Everything else is already good. The troller you will feel the difference fishing and the light lithuim batteries you will feel on holeshot.

I couldn't disagree more... Biggest waste of money and added risk of fire...

I'd run what you have and keep saving your money to fix any future issues.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    I couldn't disagree more... Biggest waste of money and added risk of fire...

I'd run what you have and keep saving your money to fix any future issues.
    Sorry Mike, but many keep repeating the lie. LIthuim Ion Phospate don't have a fire issue.There have been thousands of lead acid batteries blow up, but not lithium ion phosphate trolling batteries. These are not the same as the lithium ion batteries in planes and cell phones. Go educate yourself. It was not a waste of money for me. I don't have the battery issues I had with lead batteries.

18. Member
    you said you was not looking to drop 3-4k in it,i really don't know how you wont,i put new ultrex on mine this spring,$2300+400 charger+3 new batteries =3k

Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    Sorry Mike, but many keep repeating the lie. LIthuim Ion Phospate don't have a fire issue.There have been thousands of lead acid batteries blow up, but not lithium ion phosphate trolling batteries. These are not the same as the lithium ion batteries in planes and cell phones. Go educate yourself. It was not a waste of money for me. I don't have the battery issues I had with lead batteries.
    If I had your money I might have them. I think it is a waste of money. I have been fishing tournaments for 35 years and never needed lithium ion batteries. The cost is high for no benefit in my eyes.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    If I had your money I might have them. I think it is a waste of money. I have been fishing tournaments for 35 years and never needed lithium ion batteries. The cost is high for no benefit in my eyes.
    I'm a power fisherman and fish down wind up to the point of dangerous. Many times I've run down group 31' both odessey PCM 2150 and Trojans. It sucks having 2 hours left in a tournament and no troller. I've never run down my lithiums, so for me it's worth it. So it depends on your budget and fishing style.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast