Thread: Bad Gasoline

Bad Gasoline

Getting my ATV ready for the up coming hunting season and it has several gallons of old/bad gas in it. I transferred it into an empty Kerosene can I had laying around. What should I do with it and what should I use to clean the inside of the tank? It has both water and sludge in the bottom.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Pour the gas on a fire ant mound.

P01135809

3. Member
    Might want to clean the carb/EFI and fuel lines while getting rid of the water and sludge.

Sloshing some alcohol around in the tank should help remove/evaporate the water when you pour it out.

Maybe some carb cleaner to help breakup the sludge.

Hopefully someone will be along with additional suggestions.

Let us know how you resolved the problem.

It's too late now but once you get your fuel system clean if you decide to store it again for several months unused then treat the gas with marine formula stabil. The difference between the marine formula and regular formula is the marine formula has higher concentrations of detergents. A local small engine repair shop recommend marine formula stabil to all his customers who have equipment that might not be used for months (weed eater, leaf blower, chainsaw, garden tiller, lawn mower). He even made the comment that 10% ethanol fuel keeps him busy. If storing something for months try to find a place that sells non ethanol fuel. Fill the tank and run it long enough to get it through the system and still treat it with fuel stabilizer.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    It's too late now but once you get your fuel system clean if you decide to store it again for several months unused then treat the gas with marine formula stabil. The difference between the marine formula and regular formula is the marine formula has higher concentrations of detergents. A local small engine repair shop recommend marine formula stabil to all his customers who have equipment that might not be used for months (weed eater, leaf blower, chainsaw, garden tiller, lawn mower). He even made the comment that 10% ethanol fuel keeps him busy. If storing something for months try to find a place that sells non ethanol fuel. Fill the tank and run it long enough to get it through the system and still treat it with fuel stabilizer.
    This is good info for you.
    The only thing I ever do that's different is, I add Seafoam as well.
    It lasts 4-5 months easy.

Fire ant mounds...I have plenty of those. I have Marine Stabil and non ethanol gas on hand since I use only that in my yard equipment. I guess I will use that in my ATV too.

Thanks!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

It's still flammable so have fun with it