Thread: 2003 OX66 150HP

2003 OX66 150HP

So I’ve had my boat for six years and it’s always started and ran great but something has always bothered me and I’m hoping to put it to rest. When idling out of a shallow launch or flat with the motor trimmed up to keep the prop clear it for lack of a better word “loads up”... the idle gets rougher, exhaust gets pretty smoky, and unless I lower it back down it gets progressively worse. Once I get into deeper water and can lower the motor I raise the rpms a bit and we’re right back to normal.
    Any ideas?? It seems like when a carburetor motor idles for a while and starts to flood. As far as how high it is trimmed, it’s starts to happen when the cowling gets much above level... never an issue otherwise I can troll SIing for an hour and not miss a beat. No fouled plugs. No good Yamaha mechanics around, everyone wants to just tear it apart.

2. Member
    I would start with the vst filters and float level. Do a pressure check and test the fuel pressure regulator. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

3. Member
    So I’ve been doing some research since reading your response CJ, can you help me understand what the Float does that is in the reservoir with the vst filter? You got me thinking, when I first bought the boat I had a local dealer changed all the fuel filters as the boat would surge and stall at WOT, seems like a common thing with the ox66 and plugged filters. This float has me thinking because it’s only an issue when trimmed up.

4. Member
    It keeps the res full just like a carb float bowl. I had the same issue with mine only mine would run rich when I trimmed down from a high up position when I was in shallow water. Now the issue is fixed. I had the injectors cleaned, cleaned the filter and checked the float operation. So I cant say what fixed it but that would be a good place to start. I know I had a injector issue as when I installed a used set that Brucato cleaned the miss went away and it is now running great. As I was right there anyway it is always good to know the VST is clean. Mine was in good shape but it didn't hurt to check. Have you tested or replaced your LP pumps? With these engines being injected the trim level should not matter but maybe fuel is getting into a vent or something in the VST and making it into the engine. [just thinking out loud!] CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.