Advice/help on audio upgrade

Looking to replace the speakers on my 2015 FX20 and have some questions and general comments. The very first thing I broke on my boat on my first day out on it new Oct 2015 were the speaker covers... Kinda funny now, but wasn't at the time. Terrible spot and I'm chubby and short. LOL Anyway, While the boat is in the shop I thought I'd pull them and work on finding some replacements. The brand I pulled out are 5.25" Jensen Model MS5006B. 30W Max, 4 ohms. Would be simple to find and replace, but like Tim the Tool Man Taylor would say, Needs more power.... I was wondering if anyone out there did an audio upgrade for this boat or something similar?? Maybe step up to some 6.5" speakers. Anyone have a suggestion of a brand suited for this size? Of course they have to be water proof. Is there enough room around/behind them to go with a 6.5"? Now by stepping up the size or wattage of the speakers, I'd need to take into consideration what drives them... If anyone has the drawing for the system that powers and drives the speakers, that would greatly be appreciated. Now another thing to take into consideration is the increased draw on the battery powered electrical system if I upgrade. I run 3 twelve inch displays and when carrying fish, I run the recirc pumps continuously. I carry 4 AC Delco Voyager batteries, M30 Class. Any thoughts about that would be appreciated as well. Thanks for taking the time to read!

2. Member
    I used Rockford fosgate

3. Member
    I have Focal Kevlar 6.5" coaxes in my Skeeter. They are slightly more efficient than some others, without losing accuracy. I play mine off a basic marine head unit. It is plenty loud enough for me....and I like my music at "realistic" levels. The Kevkars, while compairitivly expensive, are pretty waterproof and extremely well made. The grills are made of all aluminum as well. So no rust. They are fairly strong grills too.

They em are probably around 20x the cost of the little Jensen though, so they aren't for everyone. You gotta want em pretty badly.
    Last edited by SteezMacQueen; 09-21-2018 at 07:21 PM.

4. Member
    Take a speaker out and check carefully for clearance issues both in depth and in width...You can purchase extension rings that will allow a 6 1/2" speaker to fit into a smaller opening by bringing the speaker forward(outward) some if you are scared to cut the hole bigger or have issues with surrounding trim and such that will not allow the use of a jig saw to cut the holes bigger. Polk Audio makes some really nice marine grade speakers at a reasonable price and also has some narrow depth options of speakers that are specially designed to fit into shallow spaces. As far as the head unit goes...what do you have now? I opted for the nema system for my ZX and then added the sonic hub and an amp...the sonic hub allows you to control audio functions from the Lowrance in the helm...that is if you have a Lowrance and haven't changed it out for a different brand...I have had no low battery issues thus far...

5. Member
    Thanks for all the inputs!! Edw I'm sending you a PM to talk a bit more.