Thread: Cleaning Carpet

Cleaning Carpet

So I’m looking to do a good carpet cleaning on my boat. I know I’ve seen lots of guys comment about using a mixture of water and vinegar. Just looking to get the years of fish slime and such out. Just curious on tips and techniques. 50/50 mixture? Do you pre-wet the carpet and use like a sprayer to apply the solution? Rinse and shop vac to remove and let dry in the sun? Any advice would be great, just want to clean it up a bit but not damage the carpet or glue/fiberglass.
    This is on a 2003 ranger if that makes any difference... thanks all

2. Member
    You just said it all. Get the carpet damp with a hose, 50/50 mix and scrub it in with a medium soft scrub brush. Hose it down and run the shop vac. A leaf blower will speed up the drying. You can add some oxy clean to the 50% mix as well

3. Member
    This thread will help for the vinegar/water cleaning

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....t=Carpet+clean
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

We have a bissell carpet cleaning machine for the house. It has a detachable wand for cleaning tight spaces. This is what I use to clean my boat carpet. I use regular house carpet shampoo cleaning solution. You can get a cheap one for about $100. I have seen grocery stores and hardware stores where you can rent one for the day for a few $. I vacuum as needed and shampoo once a year. The shampoo machine sucks up most of the water you spray onto the carpet so it is dry the next day.

5. Member
    I get any blood , fish goo.. when I get home is just the hose . Hand brush .. and some elbow grease.. does well.

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

6. Member
    Just scrubbed mine this weekend. Light tan carpet in a 2003 Nitro. It's been awhile.
    Raised the front end as high as I could get it.
    Removed EVERYTHING in the boat.
    Soaked it down with the hose.
    Mixed cleaning solution in a 5 gallon bucket. Poured it on area that was going to get scrubbed.
    Scrubbed the crap out of it with brush.
    Rinsed area that was soaped up...again and again and again and again.
    Moved to the next area to be cleaned (worked from highest to lowest point)
    Let it sit in the sun to dry, left fan on it for 48 hours.
    Looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    We have a bissell carpet cleaning machine for the house. It has a detachable wand for cleaning tight spaces. This is what I use to clean my boat carpet. I use regular house carpet shampoo cleaning solution. You can get a cheap one for about $100. I have seen grocery stores and hardware stores where you can rent one for the day for a few $. I vacuum as needed and shampoo once a year. The shampoo machine sucks up most of the water you spray onto the carpet so it is dry the next day.
    I will second that.................
    Thank You Leon Pugh

8. Member
    Sounds like lots of good information, I’ll be giving it a try. Thank you

9. Scraps
    I've used the carpet cleaning machine and it does a great job. rented for the house, tried it on the boat.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

10. Member
    These are all good. But the best I’ve ever found. Was using barbasol shaving cream. It in YouTube.

way easier and smells great. All I did is apply. Smear. Let sit. Rub. Vacuum. Amazing stuff.

11. Member
    Using any kind of soap or shampoo leaves a residue behind, even with thorough rinsing. Although it works because soap molecules attract dirt, some of the soap molecules remain in the carpet when you are done, and continue to trap dirt. Better to use the vinegar/water solution.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

12. Banned
    get some Awesome Cleaner at any Dollar Store, and mix it 3 parts water, one part Awesome.

Resolve carpet cleaner works to get most spots out. A little tip from the carpet cleaning pros. Vinegar/ water with a few drops of Dawn. Spray it on the stain, cover with a damp towel and use an iron for heat. Move the iron over the damp towel. This will remove just about anything but set in Dye! Peroxide works great to get blood out.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

14. Member
    Most carpet cleaners will finish a cleaning job by rinsing the carpet with a product that has an acid ph. The acid neutralizes the alkaline ph of the detergents. You can get an acid rinse product at a janitorial supply store.

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinF View Post
    Most carpet cleaners will finish a cleaning job by rinsing the carpet with a product that has an acid ph. The acid neutralizes the alkaline ph of the detergents. You can get an acid rinse product at a janitorial supply store.
    I didn't know that. The only tip I have is not to let sand and grit sit on the carpet very long. Vacuum it up asap. Once it gets worked down into the fibers it is nearly impossible to remove.
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO

16. BBC SPONSOR
    Will have to try the Barbasol

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by limit5bass View Post
    Will have to try the Barbasol
    I have tried several different carpet cleaners and the best cleaner I have found is Bassboat Saver is takes out blood grease, carbon and occasional dog poop. At end of season I spray complete carpet in sections and use a brush to scrub and carpet looks and feels new.

18. Member
    I was told by a school janitor that warm beer will get blood out of anything.