Echo Map Question

I'm looking at Garmin Echo Map Plus 93 SV. I might wait for Black Friday. Want 2 units. I have some questions.

Keyed assist touch screen----is this easy to use as I've never had touch screen units before?

Will there be update to allow for navionics chip to be used? Sounds likely but opinions welcome.

I have used navionics and really the way the river and creek channels are marked is something I liked.

Lakevu maps ----are river channels marked well? Lakes here can get down 40 ft from summer pool and being able to navigate river channel is important.

Side imaging----really like it on console but how many here like it on bow? Sonar and down image would be important to me on bow but I've never used side imaging on bow and would welcome any feedback.

Will this unit hook up with transducer in Ultrx?

Thanks

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whopperstopper View Post
    I'm looking at Garmin Echo Map Plus 93 SV. I might wait for Black Friday. Want 2 units. I have some questions.

Keyed assist touch screen----is this easy to use as I've never had touch screen units before?
    Very easy. Better than the touch on my bigger units. Love keyed assist.

Will there be update to allow for navionics chip to be used? Sounds likely but opinions welcome. I have used navionics and really the way the river and creek channels are marked is something I liked.
    The word from Garmin is no. Since they bought Navionics they've said they would use that data and somehow update/combine it within Garmin mapping. When....We don't know.

Lakevu maps ----are river channels marked well? Lakes here can get down 40 ft from summer pool and being able to navigate river channel is important.
    On my lake it is. I'm on Fontana just east of you. It varies around 60 ft. The river channel is well marked. You need to check their website to see the level of detail for the lakes you are interested in. Look for it to say 1 ft contours.
    http://lakes.garmin.com

Side imaging----really like it on console but how many here like it on bow? Sonar and down image would be important to me on bow but I've never used side imaging on bow and would welcome any feedback.
    I used to run side imaging on the TM and transom. Now that I use Panoptix I don't run it on the TM any more. When I did use it on the TM it was for suspended fish, not structure. It just lets you see more.

Will this unit hook up with transducer in Ultrx?
    I wouldn't want to but I think there is some sort of adapter cable to make it work. Garmin transducers are so much better than these generic transducers I would run all Garmin transducers.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

3. Member
    Can you get depth reading at speed?

thanks for the input.

4. Member
    I think that getting depth readings at speed is purely a matter of getting it mounted right. It's much more difficult to do with a transom mount than in-hull. I've done it both accidentally and through a lot of trial and error. I see on here that it is really important to some people. If it's real important, I'd get the GT15 in-hull that is designed for that purpose. You can do the Y cable thing with it and also use a GT30 for side and down imaging. I had a GT52 transom mounted that read 100% of the time, but I've taken it off for now. I know my lake pretty well and one reading on plane would not help me with avoiding a problem area. There's just not time with the dramatic changes in depth I have. I never thought I needed mapping but now that I have it that is what I use instead. I have the depth shading set so that when I'm running I use that for boat control. Works great as I can see ahead of me what the situation is. We have several dangerous area of rock that suddenly and steeply come up near the surface and they are not marked with buoys.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

5. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I'll agree with Leonard....its all about the installation.....i just finished installing the GT 15 that was recommended by him....now i think i was "Lucky" cause i didnt have any choice of where i could install it, the only open space was next to the Lowrance transducer which worked well at speed. Tried it out this past weekend and it worked just great. My boat hits 70 mp and i still had a numerical depth reading close to 70 mph but the screen quit scrolling..... In the end, you get on depth reading with proper installation of a transducer that is meant to read on plane.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

6. Member
    Thanks for the info! Bought a 1998 Skeeter SX200C. Good shape runs well, 2003 HPDI 200. Cleaned up fairly well and am having Ultrex installed today. So I might wait for Black Friday to get the 2 Garmin's to complete my update.

Combination of well defined river channel and shading will likely work for me. But the GT15 in-hull is something to think about.

There is an older 5in Lowrance, not sure which model, on it now at console. Reads depth at speed. If I use Echo Map 94 + beside it, will the Lawrence and Garmin play well with each other?