repaint on an 89 GT200

I'm prepping the GT200 on my boat for a repaint, and re-decal, and I've got a few questions

1 How do the 2 lower cowl pieces come off? I've removed the 3 bolts, and hitch pins from the cowling; but the 2 halves don't appear to want to separate, and I don't want to force them, because if I break them, they are hard to find,and expensive if I do.

2 I have the upper cowl all sanded, and where the paint is down to the original surface, there is no primer. As the cowl is fiberglass, should I put a primer on it. If so, what kind?

3 The lower unit shows an original gray primer on it. What type of primer should I use.

The paint I will be using is BRP EVINRUDE/JOHNSON p/n 777173 metallic charcoal.

4 Will the paint that will be on the lower unit stand up under the stress of being run through the water at high speeds, or should I get the auto paint specialty place near me to make up another type of paint(ex/epoxy paint in the proper color)which might hold up better.

5 Once all the paintwork is done,how long should I wait for the paint to be completely dry before I put the boat in the water(Don't want the paint to peel off because the paint appears dry; but isn't)

All question, opinions, and suggestions are greatly appreciated

Steve

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    It may take a bit of force to separate the two halves. For the LU primer use the Zinc Chromate #0777172. Wait at least 48 hours for the paint to fully cure/dry.

3. Member
    Thanks Fred,
    I figured it should be a zinc chromate; but when I saw the grey primer instead of some sort of yellow(doesn't mean there couldn't be a grey zinc chromate I don't know about), it kinda threw me a curve.
    Got the 0777172, if everything goes well should have the lower unit primed, and everything painted by Monday.
    you didn't mention priming the cowl( which wasn't primed originally), so it looks like I can just paint over the fiberglass.

Thanks again for the help.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Yes I'd prime it but not with the zinc chromate, I use the normal auto primer as you are going to sand it down again anyway.