Thread: mulligans??

mulligans??

I played in a 4 man scramble last Saturday. They had 3 mulligans for another $20.00. I have never been a fan of mulligans. My understanding of one is that if you hit a bad shot you can drop another ball and hit again without adding another stroke. Well these mulligans were different. the first one was a drive from the red tee box. If you were a senior you could go to the 150 yard marker to hit your drive. The second was 1 hand toss any where on the course without it counting as a stroke. The last one was a 9 iron anywhere on the course and not counted as a stroke. I didn't buy any mulligans. The mulligan rules was explained to me by my partner as we played the course. Next time I'll ask. Basically I gave away 5 to 7 strokes to those who paid the $20.00. In order to compete for the first 3 places you would almost have to pay the $20.00 for the so called mulligans. Now I'm a smarter golfer, I think.

2. Member
    If the tournament is not flighted, you almost have to have the mulligans if you are going to have any chance to win. In a flighted tournament, not so much, as each flight winner is a moving number. What boggles my mind is when a scramble team doesn't pony up and get into the skins game. Almost every scramble tournament I play in, there is one team who lucks into an eagle that would have won skin money but they were too tight to pay an extra few bucks to get into the skins.

Always buy the skins and the mulligans in a scramble. Every scramble is different with the mulligans. I played in one where on the 16th tee, a par four, they had a softball bat. They would toss the ball and you would hit it with the dang bat. It was actually quite funny.
    What we cannot obtain from intelligence, we can learn from experience.

4. Member
    Variety can be fun....

Then problem with mulligans in a tourney is if they sell 3 mulligans for $20 and each guys buys mulligans that team is -12 before they even tee off. Reason being is most deduct the mulligan form the score instead of a person re-hitting the shot.
    1996 ProCraft 185 DC Pro, Mercury EFI 150

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by haha View Post
    Then problem with mulligans in a tourney is if they sell 3 mulligans for $20 and each guys buys mulligans that team is -12 before they even tee off. Reason being is most deduct the mulligan form the score instead of a person re-hitting the shot.
    ?? you must have different rules in Pennsylvania.