Unhappy Kentucky Lake Report 9/7-8-9.

Fished last Friday-Sunday on Kentucky Lake. Launched at Wildcat Creek ramp in back of Blood River all 3 days. Weather was cool and rainy which I thought would help in mid-September. Fishing was tough for me and fellow club members.
    Friday- fished from 3pm to dark on LBL side from Rushing Bay south to Hughes Bay. Fished main lake points, humps at mouths of bays and all the way back to the dirt. Threw jigs, big worm, shaky head, ned rig deep, chatterbait, topwater, square bills shallow. Caught 6 fish, 1 keeper.
    Saturday- Fished 6:30 am to 2:00 pm. on West side from Blood River to Cypress Bay. Fished mainly shallow bars, laydowns, deeper docks, and stakebeds. Threw most of my shallow baits plus spinnerbait. Tough again, caught 7 fish, 1 keeper about 3 lbs.
    Sunday- Fished LBL side of lake including Rushing, Ginger, Clay, Tischel, Byrd with little success. Then crossed over and fished island points and deeper docks near Boyd cove. Then went back to mouth of Blood River and fished deep brushpiles. Ended up fishing docks in Sugar Creek. Caught 7 fish, 1 small keeper of 2-4 lbs. Fished from 6:30-3:00 in club tourney. Out tournament, 12 boats, was won with 4 keepers for 8-8 lbs.
    We all fish Ky Lake 40-50 days a year or more, this season has been our worst in 40 years of recordkeeping as far as total weight. Several factors have probably impacted our catch rates, including lake down cycle, Asian carp, weather, etc. We have changed our fishing habits from bank beating in the old days, to a lot of offshore stuff like everyone else. It hasn't helped. We shall see. We will probably change our schedule from 9 tourneys a year on Kentucky-Barkley to4-5 there and the rest somewhere else. Kinda sad, most club members have places on the lake. We are mainly from SE Missouri and will probably focus more on fishing Mo., Ill., Ark., Ala., Miss. Sorry times may be coming IMO!

2. Member
    Very informative report, thank you.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MoStratos View Post
    Fished last Friday-Sunday on Kentucky Lake. Launched at Wildcat Creek ramp in back of Blood River all 3 days. Weather was cool and rainy which I thought would help in mid-September. Fishing was tough for me and fellow club members.
    Friday- fished from 3pm to dark on LBL side from Rushing Bay south to Hughes Bay. Fished main lake points, humps at mouths of bays and all the way back to the dirt. Threw jigs, big worm, shaky head, ned rig deep, chatterbait, topwater, square bills shallow. Caught 6 fish, 1 keeper.
    Saturday- Fished 6:30 am to 2:00 pm. on West side from Blood River to Cypress Bay. Fished mainly shallow bars, laydowns, deeper docks, and stakebeds. Threw most of my shallow baits plus spinnerbait. Tough again, caught 7 fish, 1 keeper about 3 lbs.
    Sunday- Fished LBL side of lake including Rushing, Ginger, Clay, Tischel, Byrd with little success. Then crossed over and fished island points and deeper docks near Boyd cove. Then went back to mouth of Blood River and fished deep brushpiles. Ended up fishing docks in Sugar Creek. Caught 7 fish, 1 small keeper of 2-4 lbs. Fished from 6:30-3:00 in club tourney. Out tournament, 12 boats, was won with 4 keepers for 8-8 lbs.
    We all fish Ky Lake 40-50 days a year or more, this season has been our worst in 40 years of recordkeeping as far as total weight. Several factors have probably impacted our catch rates, including lake down cycle, Asian carp, weather, etc. We have changed our fishing habits from bank beating in the old days, to a lot of offshore stuff like everyone else. It hasn't helped. We shall see. We will probably change our schedule from 9 tourneys a year on Kentucky-Barkley to4-5 there and the rest somewhere else. Kinda sad, most club members have places on the lake. We are mainly from SE Missouri and will probably focus more on fishing Mo., Ill., Ark., Ala., Miss. Sorry times may be coming IMO!
    Thx for the post, Sounds like sorry times are here....

4. Member
    Our club saw the same fate. Weights where so low this year that it was embarrassing to post results. Limits where hard to come by all year.

Welcome to the new Kentucky Lake. Its been like this most of the year.

6. Member
    Was down fishing a co-ed classic for the USA Bassin a few weeks ago and that was the first time all year I've caught a limit on the second day and on the first day should have had a limit but lost a few fish I don't know if you say things are getting better or not.

7. Member
    Haven't seen much talk about the ledge bite this year. Don't know if it has been that bad or it has been so negative talk about the lake that everyone has been quiet about it. Ky definitely seems to be on a down swing right now, but look at some of the early colder months results and videos, and there where some huge fish with good limits.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigb01 View Post
    Haven't seen much talk about the ledge bite this year. Don't know if it has been that bad or it has been so negative talk about the lake that everyone has been quiet about it. Ky definitely seems to be on a down swing right now, but look at some of the early colder months results and videos, and there where some huge fish with good limits.
    As is the case with most lakes