2000 Mercury 200 EFI regulator meltdown

I posted in electric forum then figured I’d probinly get more specific answers here so:

I have the above motor (SN: OT153942). The charging has never worked since I owned the motor (last year). I haven’t needed to additional charge but want to get it fixed. The battery, when charged is just over 12v and I get no additional voltage when running at any RPM. I found one of the rectifiers is melted a bit and was going to swap it out but figured I’d ask the collective of experts here if there is anything additional I should do OR, swap them out and see if the problem is fixed. I’m also buying a lead acid battery to replace the AGM that the previous owner had installed (which may have caused the problem to begin with). I thought I had read that Mercury had new rectifiers to replace the old design and they solved many of these problems- anyone know anything about this? I’ve also read that both should be changed at the same time. I will continue to research this for myself but it never hurts to ask someone (you guys) who have been here before.

i see part number listed as: 883072T2 (x2)

thanks for taking the time to read this, I appreciate any input/advice in advance!
    Regards,
    Karl

Last edited by Kzaker; 09-17-2018 at 01:22 PM.
    1999 Skeeter ZX202 - 2000 Mercury 200EFI - Tempest+ 25p - Minn Kota Ultrex - Lowrance HDS7 Gen2 touch/ Elite7 Chirp - GoFree WiFi1 module

2. Member
    yes replace both and check stator for burnt windings and correct batt
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1

Also inspect connectors for any burnt, browned, blackened areas- replace ANY suspect connectors.

Two new-style regulators at the same time, OEM Mercury/Quicksilver only.

Make sure you have a wet-cell CRANKING battery (only ONE battery connected to engine cables). Engine cables on battery FIRST, remaining lugs Largest to Smallest. Finish off connections with a stainless Locknut (do not use wing-nuts).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

I am ordering 2 new regulators tonight. One has a hole blown through the insulation so I’m going to assume that’s at least the start of any repair if it isn’t the extent of the damage. I see some listings for these oem units come with a fuse: any idea what that’s about? I seem to recall reading a recommendation to install inline fuses when updating regulators but can’t find any more information.. any help would be great!

Regards,
    Karl

5. Member
    your wire harness has fuses for these regs ,the rear mounted regs (updated) now come with fuses for protection, your takes a diff part num than those, please use oem and follow above suggestions you should be fine from there
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

When I looked up the SN, I came up with this part: 883072T2 (apologies)<EDIT- Please read the Forum Announcements. We do not support parts purchased from Ebay.>

Ill know for sure when they arrive. Your saying that I DO have fuses? I looked under the cowl and didn’t see anything. I’ll look online for additional information since I’m not particularly fond of continuing to ask questions but for the cost of those; I’d rather be 100% sure

Regards
    Last edited by Kzaker; 09-19-2018 at 11:55 AM.

7. Member
    follow red wires one should go to fuse holder , 20amp atc mini

I believe I found it now in the schematic.. was looking at a 1999 diagram and it wasn’t there( or at least that I could see). I’ll check motor when I get home for the location of the fuses.

does anyone know for sure if the manual I should be using is 90-878079?
    Regards,
    Karl
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kzaker; 09-19-2018 at 10:22 AM.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    878079R01 is the correct manual.

Please take a moment to review the Forum Announcements... hoping you didn't order parts through the bay.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Sorry, no, I ordered elsewhere but that was a quick reference to the same part number when I put it in the google search bar. But I did make sure that I ordered NEW OEM parts. And thank you SO much for your helpful support. I’m really hoping these are the entire problem, both upper and lower fuses were blown also. I may be back to ask some questions about the exterior color of my spark plugs though- one side looks like it may have been hotter than the other for some reason. I’m replacing them and will shoot it with a thermal gun next time in out testing on the water.

Regards,
    Karl

11. Member
    99 had rear mounted regs non fused