Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I’ve always been jealous of the guys that had chips for the lakes they fish .

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    If you ask me if acl is worth it . The simple answer is absolutely . One thing you don’t here much talk about is the bottom hardness overlay. It took me almost a year to build my map but I got to use it this spring looking for bedding bass out in deeper water where no one in the lake fishes with any efficiency .between the hardness map and the 360 on the screen I developed a very reliable way to catch bigger bass that are not so lure shy. Acl was a game changer for me as well as 360. Also seeing a topo of a lake that has not been Surveyed since it was impounded in 1942 is pretty cool too. Lol
    Hey Wallace, tell me about 'hardness overlay'? Are you talking about being able to identify where hard areas are by the color shading in SI? Is there a specific software setting that enhances that? Asking because my point of reference is really old and I'm trying to get current; I could clearly see hard spots in my very first gen, first SI bird back in about '06, and I can imagine it's way better now with ACL and 360? The detail was so incredible back then, I could identify trash, tires, even saw a perfect row boat on the bottom, I've imagined if I could SI on the trolling motor I could 'sight fish' bed spots off the bank in deeper water like you're describing. SI didn't work on a TM back then, too much steering distortion. Now with 360 you can actually do that?! ACL SI on the big motor, jump up onto the Ultrex viewing the same map and actually pin point the hard spots and weed edges you just stored with the 360, keeping your boat a cast away to make a great presentation? Damn, I'm sold....

Quote Originally Posted by Fishfreq View Post
    Hey Wallace, tell me about 'hardness overlay'? Are you talking about being able to identify where hard areas are by the color shading in SI? Is there a specific software setting that enhances that? Asking because my point of reference is really old and I'm trying to get current; I could clearly see hard spots in my very first gen, first SI bird back in about '06, and I can imagine it's way better now with ACL and 360? The detail was so incredible back then, I could identify trash, tires, even saw a perfect row boat on the bottom, I've imagined if I could SI on the trolling motor I could 'sight fish' bed spots off the bank in deeper water like you're describing. SI didn't work on a TM back then, too much steering distortion. Now with 360 you can actually do that?! ACL SI on the big motor, jump up onto the Ultrex viewing the same map and actually pin point the hard spots and weed edges you just stored with the 360, keeping your boat a cast away to make a great presentation? Damn, I'm sold....
    You have to make an Auto Chart Live or Auto Chart map using 2D sonar. You set the Auto Chart menu item Bottom Layer to Visible and then select either "Bottom Hardness" or "Vegetation" to display it.
    There are several Bottom Hardness Options and several Vegetation Options.

The 360 is not involved and is not recorded unless you use the 360 for Side Imaging to make the Mosaic recording.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    You have to make an Auto Chart Live or Auto Chart map using 2D sonar. You set the Auto Chart menu item Bottom Layer to Visible and then select either "Bottom Hardness" or "Vegetation" to display it.
    There are several Bottom Hardness Options and several Vegetation Options.

The 360 is not involved and is not recorded unless you use the 360 for Side Imaging to make the Mosaic recording.
    Right, I was thinking that the ACL recording would show some structure you'd want to target, then as you approach, could you use the tm 360 to show you where you are RIGHT now and approach that same target, recognizing features in the ACL recording? Of course you'd have to have two views at the bow, one of the live 360 and the other of the recorded bottom?

Are you also saying a 360 unit does not have to spin it's view, it can also go in a fixed SI mode if you want?

Right, I was thinking that the ACL recording would show some structure you'd want to target, then as you approach, could you use the tm 360 to show you where you are RIGHT now and approach that same target, recognizing features in the ACL recording? Of course you'd have to have two views at the bow, one of the live 360 and the other of the recorded bottom?

Are you also saying a 360 unit does not have to spin it's view, it can also go in a fixed SI mode if you want?
    Yes, if you choose the 360 as the source for SI in the Network menu and select a 360 view, the 360 will stop rotating and orient the two SI crystals left and right (home) then the 360 becomes a SI transducer.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Yes, if you choose the 360 as the source for SI in the Network menu and select a 360 view, the 360 will stop rotating and orient the two SI crystals left and right (home) then the 360 becomes a SI transducer.
    That's great to know, because having the SI transducer on the rotating trolling motor was a disaster. Wait, that's probably how they originally thought up the 360: spinning an SI ducer on the tm...?

That's great to know, because having the SI transducer on the rotating trolling motor was a disaster. Wait, that's probably how they originally thought up the 360: spinning an SI ducer on the tm...?
    I have always used a Side Imaging transducer on my trolling motors since I got the first SI unit about 10 years ago. Works great, actually better than on the transom since there is no disturbed water crossing over it after passing over the hull.
    Just have to keep the motor straight for a full screen update to get a full screen that is not skewed in places. When fishing it makes no difference what the whole screen looks like since only the very top of the SI view is current, the rest is history. No different than using 2D sonar and wanting to see your presentation and fish when vertical fishing.
    I fish several electric-only lakes and most of the time I just use a bow unit unless I am testing other units at the console.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. Member
    Fishfreq one other point. Onix does everything Solix does except Mega. Onix can share everything including mega with a Solix. Which means if you purchase one Solix you can save Hugh coin purchasing a used Onix CI unit as your second unit and get everything at both ends of the boat for less money. You can not do this with combination of Solix / Helix.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12