Stratos 278

Here's what I got:
    96 Stratos 278
    96 Johnson 150
    Raker 14.5 x 24
    6" manual plate
    3.5" below pad

Here's what's going on:
    Boat comes up on plane pretty quickly, but will not turn over 4K RPM. When you trim up, it acts like it wants to blow out. Bow does not lift and it seems as though the boat is plowing. Prop is not perfect, but seems odd that I can't get any more RPM. Carbs have been rebuilt and motor idles good. Any ideas about what I can do in regards to setup? Thanks

2. Member
    No experience with your exact rig but your Prop to pad distance is a good starting point, the 6" plate is a good thing so just from looking at your numbers you may be overpropped just a bit in my opinion but even the 24P should turn more than 4K rpm so unless your hull is really waterlogged or you have it loaded with gold bars (LOL) I suspect you have engine power problems. I'd get the outboard checked by someone who knows your engine.

3. Banned
    Start with the motor and have it checked out compression and make sure it is going to full throttle. Gotta know it is 100% before you start making changes and spending money.

4. Member
    batman, i have a
    1996 stratos 278
    1990 Johnson GT 175
    6" Jack plate
    3" below pad
    23 Pitch Solas Scorpion
    turns 5k and runs at 60mph gps (cant seem to get anymore rpms on it)

I put a 22 raker on mine and it shot right up but suffered top end. I believe the raker is good for hole shots but the 22 pitch cost me top end. I also had a lot of slippage. Just wanted to give you a comparison.