2000 Merc 200 EFI melted rectifier

I have the above motor (SN: OT153942). The charging has never worked since I owned the motor (last year). I haven’t needed to additional charge but want to get it fixed. The battery, when charged is just over 12v and I get no additional voltage when running at any RPM. I found one of the rectifiers is melted a bit and was going to swap it out but figured I’d ask the collective of experts here if there is anything additional I should do OR, swap them out and see if the problem is fixed. I’m also buying a lead acid battery to replace the AGM that the previous owner had installed (which may have caused the problem to begin with). I thought I had read that Mercury had new rectifiers to replace the old design and they solved many of these problems- anyone know anything about this? I’ve also read that both should be changed at the same time. I will continue to research this for myself but it never hurts to ask someone (you guys) who have been here before.

thanks for taking the time to read this, I appreciate any input/advice in advance!
    Regards,
    Karl
    1999 Skeeter ZX202 - 2000 Mercury 200EFI - Tempest+ 25p - Minn Kota Ultrex - Lowrance HDS7 Gen2 touch/ Elite7 Chirp - GoFree WiFi1 module

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Replace both of the rectifiers with OEM current parts. I doubt the battery had any part in the problem unless it was bad. Be sure to charge the battery between trips to minimize the load on your charging system.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Thanks. I have read that these motor without alternators are not designed to handle the stress of optima AGM’s and everything I read tells me the same thing. I hate to buy another battery since that one is fairly new. Hopefully I’ll get some more recommendations from people with more experience than myself. Regulators: $250 a piece is already a ding in the wallet, don’t want to spend more on a battery:)
    1999 Skeeter ZX202 - 2000 Mercury 200EFI - Tempest+ 25p - Minn Kota Ultrex - Lowrance HDS7 Gen2 touch/ Elite7 Chirp - GoFree WiFi1 module

4. Member
    I remember reading the same about those older Mercs. Go to the Mercury pages and look at the sticky notes up top,you may find more info about this.