Trailer update questions

I just noticed that my trailer tires both have cupping wear. I usually keep a close eye on everything, including my trailer tires, so I believe this has been a recent development. The tires are 1 year old load range C Carlisle tires that I keep 65 mph and below. When I had them mounted I did ask for them to be balanced, and I believe they were based on the balancing weights on both tires. I also put new double eye leaf springs on 2 seasons ago, and the bushings seem good with no play. I did not put new shackle straps/links on or new bolts though.

Since the two most obvious cupping culprits seem to be covered, do you have any ideas on what else could be going on?

I'm now looking into basically starting fresh. I purchased new load range D tires, and now I'm going to get all new springs shackles etc. My only question on this end is on my shackle straps. The ones on there now are 6 1/2 inches long. I can't find them anywhere close to that online. Am I able to use shorter straps? What are the consequences to that?

Trailer is a 1989 skeeter single axle. Let me know if there is other info needed.

Thanks for the help.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Centered on the tire tread or on an edge?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    The cupping? On inside and outside edges of both tires.

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Cupping on both edges is odd. Almost makes me think of a loose axle mounting assuming the tire isn’t under inflated.

I’ve never seen shackle straps that long. I’d think a shorter one would lower the trailer and restrict spring travel if it has normal geometry.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    Thanks. The shackles aren’t too bad. I’m going to replace everything else along with the tires and cross my fingers.

Check these out, I had to use frame straps on my trailer once I switched to a leaf spring from mono spring. The mono spring had more of a curve to it than the leaf so there wasn't enough fender clearance. Needed the longer shackle/ strap to get my clearance. Been working all year just fine.

https://www.easternmarine.com/Trailer-Frame-Hardware
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdt91 View Post
    Check these out, I had to use frame straps on my trailer once I switched to a leaf spring from mono spring. The mono spring had more of a curve to it than the leaf so there wasn't enough fender clearance. Needed the longer shackle/ strap to get my clearance. Been working all year just fine.

https://www.easternmarine.com/Trailer-Frame-Hardware
    Those should work perfectly. Thank you!