TONGUE JACK QUESTION about what size ?

I have a Tandem wheel tailer that i installed a set of steps on the tongue of trailer that added some weight to touge weigh . My truck is a 2500 diesel that has a high back end for hauing . I have drop hitch on truck but have to jack trailer higher than most to get high enough off ball to let trailer realease . As it gest to the higher point it gets really hard to turn crank handle and lift . My question is if i get a heavier duty tounge jack will it make it easier to crank and disconect easier ? if so what size and brand would be best . I'm going to have to either cut old jack or ply from trailer because its mounted with swing up jack but doesnt have a snap ring so it made into a plate on tailer . Thanks

Every tongue jack I've ever seen is basically disposable, and getting hard to crank at more extended ranges is the first symptom of them starting to go in my experience. Yes, you can probably prolong the life by figuring out some way to properly grease them, but it's just not worth it. I started just buying 1500 lb ones from Harbor Freight and replacing them every three years or so when they start exhibiting signs of degrading. Only major difference I've been able to see between those and the $100 ones is that they have 6 inch wheels instead of 8 inch wheels. Can't beat them for $30.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Sounds like your hitch ball is too high to me. Top of the ball should be no more than about 20" from the ground.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

4. Member
    Yeah if set up right you should not have to jack up the tongue of your trailer any higher than any other vehicle that would tow that trailer. That should be independent of truck height unless you have an excess amount of sag on the rear of your truck as the weight of your tongue is added. Otherwise it should always be when the trailer is level which is totally independent of truck height if the ball is dropped the correct amount.
    As far as one of your questions, yes some of the heavier rated jacks are easier to turn because they are geared differently. Honestly, off-hand I don't remember which particular ones. I think some of the Fultons.

My factory Bulldog jack goes through the center of my A-Frame trailer. The teeth on the main part of the jack run down the outside of the jack leg, zero resistance, hell you can raise the jack up so high the jack itself will fall completely out of the socket.

6. Member
    You need more drop if having to jack it higher than most, I also have a 2500 with 33.5’s and run a 6inch drop, I run a 8inch for my little trailer but the 6inch is way more sturdy.. Reese has a good one rated to like 15k pounds, little pricey tho... is your boat level sitting on your truck? Boats load better also if level

2018 blazer 625 Pro Elite
    2018 mercury 250 pro xs
    helix 12, helix 9
    ultrex 112, dual blades.

7. Banned
    Either make yourself a good block for under the jack so you have to crank less or get a longer drop hitch like the others said.

8. Member
    Most boat trailers are level at 17-18 inches. I think mine even said that on it. Fix that first. With that said, I just bought this one from Fulton.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Jac...xoCioIQAvD_BwE

It works so much better than my last one. My last one for hard to turn, this one is very easy.

9. Member
    First off thanks for your replys ! I measured the height of my tailer hitch ball . The top of the ball is 20 inches exactly . Two questios for you can i take the cap off the jack and and grease , do you think that would help ? The jack that is on trailerr now is the kind that you pull pin and it swings up or down . The bracket is on a plate that is welded to trailer frame . I'm not against bolting a jack on that has four bolts . But how do i remove the present jack ? Ideas please . The jack swings on a circle on plate but no snap ring .

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Rider View Post
    Sounds like your hitch ball is too high to me. Top of the ball should be no more than about 20" from the ground.

top of the ball for mine is 21" with no load--tows great
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

11. Member
    What happened to the old school jacks with no tube that all of the teeth were exposed? Those were made out of good steel and you could smear grease on them whenever needed. I used to get grease on my jeans all the time with those.