Thread: West POint

West POint

I moved here in March and got the Boat down last week. Its in the shop getting new electronics installed.

Apparently Yellow Jacket is a hot spot.

I fish the Upper Chesapeake Bay and Potomac. Completely different type of fisheries.

So any suggestions and tips would be of great help for West Point. Thank you!

I would also like some insight on Lake Harding. But most interested in West Point

2. Member
    I love the Chesapeake adn Potomac! used to fish them all the time when I lived up north.

West Point is not the lake it used to be. The largemouth have gotten smaller and fewer and the spots have really taken over. I was there this past weekend and its still really warm for this time of year. Typically the largemouth are above the double bridges and some of the feeder creeks down lake. The rest of the main lake is mostly spots. Pay attention to the shore/bottom composition (clay, rock, gravel, sand) and try to duplicate it after catching some fish.

Harding (aka Bartletts Ferry) is really good lake with some quality. Lots of docks, rocks, grass in summer, drops. Has a good mix of Largemouth and spots and routinely takes upper teens to win.

You should check out Eufaula too, not too far from those lakes and it has some grown ones :) The south end has really seen some good hydrilla growth the past few years and always hold fish. The upper part is lines with big lilly pads. out of all the lakes Eufaula will feel more at home for you.

thank you. i appreciate it

4. Member
    What he said about West Point not being what it was is correct.....Water is still too hot. The lake does fish different when the they are pulling water. Yellow Jacket is ok. If you send me a pm i'll give you some spots to try.
    Phone number.......

5. Member
    Might also try reaching out to Tone357 as he fishes there pretty much every week.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 4 Color Flake
    250 Pro XS, SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12" w/Hole shot plate
    NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Remote Lighting Control
    HDS Gen 3's, TotalScan, 3DSS
    Red Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

6. Member
    west point sucks no better way of putting it, unless you want to do some stripper fishing then its pretty good.

i fish harding 2-3 times a week. its a smaller lake than west point and gets a load of pressure but still seems to produce pretty well. docks... tons of docks with brush piles find docks with brush under em 8 to 12 ft deep an youll more times than not catch one.

like the other fella said, best lake in the area is eufaula.

7. Member
    I fished a regional there last November. Caught 30 to 50 bass a day(buzz bait and whopper plopper, crankbait), but size was hard to come by. In 5 days of fishing I never saw a single bream. West Point is out of balance with a ton of small skinny bass, so many they keep the food chain out of balance. They are stocking largemouths but IMHO, all they are doing is supplying more food for the spots. Some really good fishermen in that regional but in two tournament days only 2 fish over 4 lbs caught.

West Disappoint
    "There are 3 types of people, those who can count, and those who can't"

Quote Originally Posted by Deeznuts View Post
    West Disappoint
    I agree ! Too many tourney's have spoiled this impoundment... Most weekends there is at least 2 separate tournaments going.
    Bartlett's is getting fished harder than it did 10 years ago because of West point .
    I make the trip over to Wedowee often

10. Member
    I agree with all above. Best advice for West Point is stay at home
    2000 Triton Tr21
    2002 Mercury 250 Pro XB