Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Techniques to learn for next year?

After this summer I feel like I have the confidence to get bit using big flutter spoons. I also picked up the ned rig but have zero confidence in it at the moment so need to spend time with that technique until I figure it out enough to get bit. On another post I saw where a guy was having the same struggles with chatterbaits. I need to work on those to.

So for me it’s

Ned Rig and Chatterbaits for 2019.

What about you guys?

Drop shot was my goal for this year and I'm proud to say that I consider it a huge success. The big key for that was building myself a rod that works excellent for the technique, switching to Sniper 7 lb as my leader from Berkley 100% Fluoro 8 lb (learned that it's almost the same diameter as everyone else's 12 lb!!), and of course forcing myself to put in the time with it. Early success when bedding bass gave me the confidence to throw it more this year and by the end of my main tourney season, it has morphed into my number 3 confidence technique behind a swim jig or chatterbait and flipping deeper grass. Maybe that's a bit of a cop out on combining the swim jig and chatterbait, but I do feel like they work in the same areas with very similar retrieves on different days.

A secondary goal was to get better with the "jig worm" technique (think heavier Ned head with a larger hook mated to a ribbontail or senko, intentionally allowed to bury in the grass so that it can be ripped free). I'll give myself an "acceptable" on that one, but it's still not morphed into a go-to for me like it is for a lot of other anglers in my neck of the woods.

Next year it's ripping cranks and lipless baits through grass.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

3. Member
    Going stay with the neg rig more . Didn't get out much last year . But caught a few every time out with it , even do they was small fish .

4. Member
    I told myself this year to learn to dropshot, however, that did not pan out. So it is and needs to be a priority for next year.

This is the first year I’ve tried drop shotting and it’s now my go to when I can’t figure out what to throw. It’s been the most productive thing for me. I think next year I’m going to explore jerk baits a little more. Those things can wear you out.

I got a ALX Dream for my birthday as a gift. I've been using it as a Texas rig setup. I've never been one to fish slow but I am now

7. Member
    Caught a lot on the ned rig. It has proved to catch fish. Tried drop shot some this year so next year I want to drop shot more. Late Last year I went with only plastic and this has been my best year even if folks laugh at my spinning rigs.
    LIFE IS GOOD
    STILL CAN'T CATCH A FISH.

8. Member
    Just slowing myself down was a goal by itself. Next year will be drop shot for sure
    1999 Stratos 273 Vindicator
    2000 Johnson 150hp
    Humminbird Helix 7 Si
    Humminbird Helix 5 sonar
    Bonifide SS127

9. Member
    I fish the same lake 98% of the time year around, as the seasons change there are various techniques that catch fish on this lake but as tried and true as they are they dont always work. I find myself falling into the rut of over using these techniques and not thinking outside the box as much as I should.........my goal is to do just that, think more outside the box on those slow days when tried and true just isn't so true!

I have never been a finesse guy at all but after this year I'm starting to get a handle on it a little better.
    mine mostly this year was a Ned and Shakey head but also want to work on drop shot and spoons deep
    in the past if it wasn't a power setup or pitching jigs and plastics I was at a disadvantage.
    and in some of the deep clear lakes we have deep fishing is needed

I HAVE to get better at fishing deep and fishing for suspended fish. I think an upgrade in electronics will ease the learning curve a bit.
    LET'S GO BLUES!!! WILL WE MAKE THE PLAYOFFS IN 2024?

12. Member
    My goal next year is to revisit techniques that I have stopped using. Somewhere over the last few years I have abandoned jerk baits, crank baits and spinner baits from my arsenal. I used to catch plenty of fish on those baits but have switched to drop shots, Ned rigs, etc.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

13. Member
    To catch instead of just fish!

I 2nd that above^^^^

15. Member
    I still haven’t quite figured out punch rigging.

16. Member
    Tried ledge fishing with no success so have to work on it next year.

17. Member
    Rather than techniques I need to learn my electronics. Almost 5k in graphs that I use primarily for maps and 2d needs to change

Underspin for me.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

19. Member
    for me, it's the spinner bait that i need to work on. I have fished an area i know for sure that has tons of bass and they did not want to touch the spinnerbait but if you throw a lipless crankbait or grub you will get hits almost every cast.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kercha83 View Post
    for me, it's the spinner bait that i need to work on. I have fished an area i know for sure that has tons of bass and they did not want to touch the spinnerbait but if you throw a lipless crankbait or grub you will get hits almost every cast.
    Then i would keep throwing the crank bait in that spot , that's what they want .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast