Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Green River Lake

Hows it fishing lately. Has the water cooled enough they are moving out of the deep and biting during the day ? Thinking about taking off later this week and going down.

2. Member
    Watching as I'm heading down this Fri myself, never been on it.

3. Member
    I know the water temps were 83-84 on Rough last week.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeKz View Post
    Watching as I'm heading down this Fri myself, never been on it.
    I recommend Emerald Isle for a ramp. Small locally owned ramp that doesnt get real busy. Have some tackle / food / bait / restaurant etc. They also have condos with slips if you need one. Doubt they would be booked up this late in the season.

I would guess they are drawing it down but I dont know what the level is. Have a map card and map up as it has areas that get shallow. Not like KY lake with rock ledges that go from 15 - 2 in an instant but still areas you want to watch running.

5. Member
    I havent been out in a couple weeks but the night bite had slowed down and the day bite seemed to be a little better. Its still tough as it took 16 to win a fairly big tourny saturday. They dont start the drawdown till around thanksgiving so youll be good to go there
    They aint got hands, set the hook

6. Member
    Got on water at dawn, thought it would be a nice overcast day with lots of potential - lol boy was I wrong. I'm new to lake, but only managed 2 bluegill and a dink KY.

Threw jigs, tubes, spinnerbait, topwater, etc all over the lake. Am I not throwing right color?

Depending on weather, may head to Cumberland tomorrow. But any tips for Green River Lake would be appreciated, since it's lots closer to hotel.

Thanks, Mike

7. Member
    Got on water at dawn, thought it would be a nice overcast day with lots of potential - lol boy was I wrong. I'm new to lake, but only managed 2 bluegill and a dink KY.

Threw jigs, tubes, spinnerbait, topwater, etc all over the lake. Am I not throwing right color?

Depending on weather, may head to Cumberland tomorrow. But any tips for Green River Lake would be appreciated, since it's lots closer to hotel.

Thanks, Mike
    Same here man. I didnt get out that early but only managed a little dink. With the overcast and wind I was expecting better. I threw cranks / small craws / senkos / smallish swim baits. Maybe 3 bites the entire time I was there which wasnt all that long.

You might check the weather I know in Louisville they are calling for rain all day long I think. Might just be easier to stay on Green unless going the extra distance will outrun the rain. Contrary to what it seems Green is a good lake. Ive done really well in the spring and really well in the fall. I havent though figured out the warm water patterns.

Was a nice day out there though. Not many out on the lake at all. Pretty much had whatever cove etc I wanted to myself.

8. Member
    Thanks, misery loves company! Pretty lake, reminds me a little of LBL lakes. Yeah, watched weather while we ate dinner - gonna be a challenge. Calling for 20 degree drop. I will be in white/red bolt Basscat.

9. Member
    Went out for a couple hours, mostly to run the boat and caught em really well. Had 8 fish, best 5 probably 17-18 and only stopped on one spot. Greens a great lake, its just a right spot right time kinda deal

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    Went out for a couple hours, mostly to run the boat and caught em really well. Had 8 fish, best 5 probably 17-18 and only stopped on one spot. Greens a great lake, its just a right spot right time kinda deal
    LOL I swear I'm hiring a guide .

You fishing out deep? I had issues with my cranking battery so I couldn't use my graphs. I stayed in the front 2/3 of creek channels mainly beating the banks or grinding points with cranks.

11. Member
    Ended up cutting our trip off early. Hate to see my wife sitting in the rain (she never fishes, just reads and relaxes).

Two observations...a. i've never seen that many hawks and eagles on one body of water, that was a bonus (a bald eagle to boot), and b. is there invasive carp in lake, or regular carp? Saw quite a few jump.

12. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    I have seen several birds that look like an eagle. I "think" they are an osprey. The osprey is a large hawk that looks a lot like an juvenile bald eagle. We do have a few resident eagles that stay year round. In the winter there is a few more that migrate into the area. 20 years ago I would seldom see an eagle. In the last 10 years the eagle population has been stable or growing.

Regular common carp in Green and yes you will occasionally see one isolated jump. The invasive silver and sheep head jumps are hundreds of carp jumping at one time. We thankfully do not have them.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    I have seen several birds that look like an eagle. I "think" they are an osprey. The osprey is a large hawk that looks a lot like an juvenile bald eagle. We do have a few resident eagles that stay year round. In the winter there is a few more that migrate into the area. 20 years ago I would seldom see an eagle. In the last 10 years the eagle population has been stable or growing.

Regular common carp in Green and yes you will occasionally see one isolated jump. The invasive silver and sheep head jumps are hundreds of carp jumping at one time. We thankfully do not have them.

I think there is an eagle that nests on top of the water pump station thing.

14. Member
    Ended up cutting our trip off early. Hate to see my wife sitting in the rain (she never fishes, just reads and relaxes).

Two observations...a. i've never seen that many hawks and eagles on one body of water, that was a bonus (a bald eagle to boot), and b. is there invasive carp in lake, or regular carp? Saw quite a few jump.
    I also see a lot of hawks. Can always tell they are around as you will hear that shreak they make. I think I saw a bald eagle one time as well.

15. Member
    See bald eagles on cumberland so i'd say there are more then a person realizes on green. There's even one that stays behind a buddy of mines house & flys over my house from time to time just slowly circling wider & wider until it flys back up the hollow. Had one fly right over my boat probably 50 feet high while running down the lake. It's cool as can be.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    See bald eagles on cumberland so i'd say there are more then a person realizes on green. There's even one that stays behind a buddy of mines house & flys over my house from time to time just slowly circling wider & wider until it flys back up the hollow. Had one fly right over my boat probably 50 feet high while running down the lake. It's cool as can be.
    Their numbers have drastically improved over the years. I saw one kayaking the salt river in shepherdsville.

17. Member
    Eagles are all up and down Cumberland— several nesting pairs, been seeing the yearlings flying for 3-4 weeks now

Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    LOL I swear I'm hiring a guide .

You fishing out deep? I had issues with my cranking battery so I couldn't use my graphs. I stayed in the front 2/3 of creek channels mainly beating the banks or grinding points with cranks.
    Sounds like you should hire Fishing is life.

19. Member
    How is GRL doing? Would think with this cooler weather finally rolling it the day bite should be picking up. Thinking about heading down Sat and trying to get a load of Crappie and also doing some bass fishing.

Whats water temps 76ish ?

20. Member
    Heard it only took 9lbs to win a tourny sunday. I havent been out in nearly a month but water temps everywhere else were still close to 80. This cold snap might knock it back a few. To me the lake fishes tougher in the early fall than it does in the summer but itll pick back up around the first to mid november

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast