Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

September Swoon?

Anyone else struggling to catch em? I've been on five different lakes so far this month and it's been like pulling teeth to get a few in the boat. Off the bank I'm seeing huge clouds of baitfish frequently with hooks nearby. Are they mostly suspended offshore? Above normal baitfish hatch this year? Anybody catching?? Anybody?

2. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    Had the same issue last couple weeks of August. Nothing but dinks. And now I have a crappie spot that is working, so haven't chased the smallies lately.

So, you're saying I need to switch species.

4. Member
    Try the stupid Ned rig. I finally used it two weeks ago and it has put a lot of fish and not just cookie cutters in the boat for me. Around here, Fish do seem to be following panfish off the bank on first breaks, 8-10ft.

I was up by Walker this past weekend and caught alot of 2-4lbers off the edge of Cabbage in 12-15ft on tubes and chatterbaits. Again, alot of panfish where the bass are. Took my buddy and his boy with and he had a pretty big smile after a day of fishing. It was just fun watching him fight with some good jumpers.

I really don't think the Fall bank bite has kicked off yet, though did get some up shallow last week. Should pick up this week.

For the past 2 years, I've flat out whacked them on the Ned Rig. I don't know what to make of it but it simply has not worked for me this year - not once. One of the mystical things about fishing I guess. And, I can't bring my self to believe that the fish have grown wary of that little thing. Appreciate the suggestion though.
    Last edited by Macsimus; 09-17-2018 at 12:26 PM.

6. Member
    Yeah, fish are funny creatures! I never tried it til Labor day weekend. Sure it was partly that the fish were in that spot. I fished Jigs worms before alot, but I think the floating worm and the flat head of zman jig makes it great for working bottom. Compared to just using a senko or a trig on bottom. The worm stands up nice and straight instead of falling over. I did some testing where I could see it and that combo really stands up nice. Using standard worms or other heads, and it falls over. Now, if they are hitting on drop, then it doesn't matter. It will be part of my bottom fishing rotation from here on out.

Hopefully we can put those away and get out some Buzzbaits or frogs here shortly. Up North I tried a frog for awhile, but only got one. Just not going yet.

7. Member
    Whenever I think "they just aren't biting", someone else sacks a 20 lb bag.

Quote Originally Posted by snodogg View Post
    Whenever I think "they just aren't biting", someone else sacks a 20 lb bag.
    I hate that, even worse when I catch 300 fish and none are over 4 pounds so I figure 16 for the win, well shift no! Haha
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Quote Originally Posted by Macsimus View Post
    Anyone else struggling to catch em? I've been on five different lakes so far this month and it's been like pulling teeth to get a few in the boat. Off the bank I'm seeing huge clouds of baitfish frequently with hooks nearby. Are they mostly suspended offshore? Above normal baitfish hatch this year? Anybody catching?? Anybody?
    I thought it was just me. I was questioning everything I was doing, Thought I forgot how to fish.

Quote Originally Posted by mnmike59 View Post
    I thought it was just me. I was questioning everything I was doing, Thought I forgot how to fish.
    Somewhat comforting to hear I'm not alone. Lately, I've found the south metro lakes especially reluctant to give up their charms.

11. Member
    I have been seeing a little drop off in numbers, but I have been catching some qualities when they do bite as of 1.5 weeks ago. I have to think this weather we are getting this week will change things dramatically come the weekend and rest of the fall. I've got my movers tied on and ready to stay in that 4-8' range as soon as the weather breaks.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Macsimus View Post
    Somewhat comforting to hear I'm not alone. Lately, I've found the south metro lakes especially reluctant to give up their charms.
    I'm sure it's just me, but I've never done well on the south metro lakes in the fall. I prefer to head to the north part of the state and catch some less pressured fish.

Quote Originally Posted by bass-o-maticjm View Post
    I'm sure it's just me, but I've never done well on the south metro lakes in the fall. I prefer to head to the north part of the state and catch some less pressured fish.
    Quit it! I have to drive east 145 miles to get bass and don't need them smarter
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

14. Member
    Last few days have been really good for me ... I'm still fishing deep 14-20 fow (weed edge / rock seam) - I think some folks hit the bank too soon.

^^^ Nice, Steve!

16. Member
    Nice fish, I think I already hit the like button for those on FB!
    The start of Fall seems to be happening today. Sunday afternoon looks like a great day to fish this weekend.

17. Member
    So, back to Fall Fishing .... Had another amazing day yesterday. Not posting to crank on my ego however to let you all know I fished twice for about 4 hours each day this weekend starting with a skunk on Friday and a 2 fish day on Saturday. Sunday they were going and I got into them good deep (skipped the Vikings game, glad I did). Fall is simple .... ALL or NOTHING - not a lot in between. One thing I know is you can't catch em if you ain't out there

18. Member
    @bonebaby...thanks for the report. what did they hit and how deep?

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilermakerRT178 View Post
    @bonebaby...thanks for the report. what did they hit and how deep?
    8-10 fow rock flat ... Swimbait 4.8 Kietech Slow Rolled on bottom
    14-17 fow rock point ... Football Jig, Carolina Rig

Quote Originally Posted by bonebaby0 View Post
    8-10 fow rock flat ... Swimbait 4.8 Kietech Slow Rolled on bottom
    14-17 fow rock point ... Football Jig, Carolina Rig
    I thought we had agreed not to talk about throwing that thing in bold there! No one in MN throws a Carolina Rig!

Seriously, nice fish Steve!!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast