New Phoenix hotfoot not adjusted right 721xp

New fourstroke motor supposed to run up to 6200 rpm, I’m only turning a 25fury 5750 and a 24 fury 5609, so I said the only thing left as I heard there is some reports of hotfoot not adjusted properly coming from Phoenix, so I turned my screw in a 1/2” and immediately gained 200 rpm with the 24 fury, my question is does it need to be put on a computer to adjust or can I just turn the screw all the way down then push the pedal all the way down and back the screw out?

2. Member
    Take it to the dealer. They can plug it in and see if your getting 100%

I am not familiar with the new four stroke motor from Mercury but I do know on my older Evinrude there was a TPS sensor (throttle position sensor). It had to be set to match with the actual position of the throttle. A tech sets the throttle linkage so it achieves 100% full throttle. Then the TPS sensor is set to recognize the position of 100%. If my memory is correct in the event it reaches 105% or more throttle a check engine alarm will sound. I think my new Evinrude is also the same way. How I learned this on my old motor. I was by trying to gain rpm...I adjusted my hotfoot for more travel but got a check engine alarm. When I took it to the dealer they hooked my engine to a computer and told me my TPS sensor detected overtravel. I told them what I had done. They set the screw back on the hotfoot so the TPS sensor was in alignment with true 100% throttle and I never had an alarm again...long story short you might be able to adjust the screw a little but if you get a check engine alarm you probably need to have a tech set TPS sensor to coincide with the hotfoot linkage. Again this is for an older Evinrude. I don't even know if the new Mercury's have a TPS sensor.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    I am not familiar with the new four stroke motor from Mercury but I do know on my older Evinrude there was a TPS sensor (throttle position sensor). It had to be set to match with the actual position of the throttle. A tech sets the throttle linkage so it achieves 100% full throttle. Then the TPS sensor is set to recognize the position of 100%. If my memory is correct in the event it reaches 105% or more throttle a check engine alarm will sound. I think my new Evinrude is also the same way. How I learned this on my old motor. I was by trying to gain rpm...I adjusted my hotfoot for more travel but got a check engine alarm. When I took it to the dealer they hooked my engine to a computer and told me my TPS sensor detected overtravel. I told them what I had done. They set the screw back on the hotfoot so the TPS sensor was in alignment with true 100% throttle and I never had an alarm again...long story short you might be able to adjust the screw a little but if you get a check engine alarm you probably need to have a tech set TPS sensor to coincide with the hotfoot linkage. Again this is for an older Evinrude. I don't even know if the new Mercury's have a TPS sensor.
    I just dropped the boat off at Mercury dealer and told him everything I explained on here he basically said he will hook it to the computer and make sure it is reading 100% throttle and adjust accordingly

good deal