Thread: Serpentine Belt

Serpentine Belt

A couple of weeks ago my belt broke. Thanks to the wake boat with The Ohio State University flag for the 3 mile tow. I promise not to bad mouth wake boats until next spring.

Anyhow, it is a bit upsetting to be broke down on the water without a clue if you are looking at a simple repair or repowering. I did a search and asked around and can not get a recommendation on replacing this belt as a prophylactic measure like we do, for example, the water pump. Any recommendations?

Mine went at 450 hours. 150 Mercury ProXS, Engine Serial Number: 1B826940
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

2. Member
    I change mine when I notice wear and keep the old one for a spare in the boat.

3. Member
    ^^^ That's what I did, but I replaced after 10 years (not sure of hours). I also keep the correct wrench.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JHelms View Post
    A couple of weeks ago my belt broke. Thanks to the wake boat with The Ohio State University flag for the 3 mile tow. I promise not to bad mouth wake boats until next spring.

Anyhow, it is a bit upsetting to be broke down on the water without a clue if you are looking at a simple repair or repowering. I did a search and asked around and can not get a recommendation on replacing this belt as a prophylactic measure like we do, for example, the water pump. Any recommendations?

Mine went at 450 hours. 150 Mercury ProXS, Engine Serial Number: 1B826940
    Believe Don recommends every 4yrs and to keep your old one as a spare (I did). If you keep the old for a spare, make sure you have a 3/8" ratchet and suitable extension (or other suitable tool) on board or the spare belt won't do any good.

Btw, the 2.5L forum (what your engine is) is one above this one.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Believe Don recommends every 4yrs and to keep your old one as a spare (I did). If you keep the old for a spare, make sure you have a 3/8" ratchet and suitable extension (or other suitable tool) on board or the spare belt won't do any good.

Btw, the 2.5L forum (what your engine is) is one above this one.
    Thanks for both the advice and the redirection to the correct forum. Both are appreciated.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

6. Member
    Very welcome.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Mine went when the stud holding the idler pulley backed out..
    A spare is a GOOD thing to have because your DIW...

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Should be carefully inspected at each annual service. Recommend replacement NLT 4 Years/400 Hours, whichever occurs FIRST.

2.5L belt is prone to stretching (it's a very long belt). Often ready for replacement in less than 4 years for that reason.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Out of curiosity... what are some symptoms of a slipping belt.
    2015 Nitro Z-7 175 Pro XS

10. Member
    loss of power low rpms high speed
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Mine broke at 260 hrs. I think it was the original that cAme with the engine wich was 7 years old. Should have changed it as a preventive maintenance when i did my tune up in winter. I dindt even think of the serpentine belt back in then. I will be changing it more often now. I also keep an almost identical spare in the boat. The spare is a napa branded cant remember the part number... I know its not the exact oem one. but it just as a safe precaution not to be stuck on the water and be able to get back on shore if something happen. They are way cheaper then the merc one. use the mercury belt one for normal operation.
    French canadian fishing for big st lawrence river smallmouth in a 2010 Triton 18xs, 150optimax 1b778430