RingFree foil "cap" (nickel size) went into gas tank entry tube..ECKKKK...

Now for the super weird:...
    I am gassing up boat...
    punch down the little silver cover in the cap of RingFree to open it...
    it always has just folded to wall of container.....for well over 15 years...
    ***BUT IT CAME OFF AND WENT INTO THE GAS TANK*** as I poured in the RF!!!
    cannot see it using a good flashlight...

man, that could be $500...to get out...

about size of a nickel, very thin and aluminum foil sort of...

its always something...grrrr

suggestions welcome...

40 gallons in tank...
    hopeful there are mechanical traps before the tank that may catch it...not sure
    though...

any suggestions welcomed...

2018 Z19/200 Optimax 2 stroker 24x3 Fury Ultrex 112
    Lowrance HDS 12/9 Lives with 3 in 1 ducers

Did a search and this has happened with RingFree at least as far back as 2006!!!

3. Member
    Drain the tank and fish it out if you can. It’s always good to remove the foil completely it can happen with any product the chemicals break down the glue over time, I’d like to see them make it with a flip nozzle but probably will never happen. Good luck and if you find an easy way please share so if this happens to others they will know what to do.
    2017 Skeeter ZX225
    12” Bobs Action Jack
    Dual Powers Poles

Hoping I cAN find a siphon tube small enough....will call local dealer soon....thanx

(why they cannot make a floating seal beats me)

5. Member
    Probable have to pull the sending unit to get it out, I'd think.

UPDATE 9/17...:
    I was told by nearest repair shop that the worst that can happen is engine kills if seal perfectly covers fuel intake...chances are tiny that happens ...
    hummm, I am going 65 and engine suddenly quits does not comfort me much...any boats behind or near me could run over me...
    other area dealers are closed Mondays...(Big Boys here and Yamaha Marine in Jville where I ordered the boat)...
    my firm advice is when using any additive remove the seal and throw it away BEFORE getting near the boat to add it!!

my main questions is WILL IT STICK BEFORE GAS TANK?
    If so, no draining needed just retrieve from intake tubing...
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Member
    switch tanks and run on the tank that has no issue. once that tank is low, siphon the fuel from the tank with issue to tank w/o issue and then get the small piece out.

All of the fuel pickups on the sending units I have seen have a screen or sock over the end to stop anything from entering the fuel line - there is a possibility that the seal could stop fuel flow, but I believe it is not very likely. I would switch to that tank and get it as empty as possible and then try to fish out the seal. You may have to pull the tank to get it out. I always empty my Ring Free into an empty Sta-Bil bottle. That way I can measure however many ounces I need and can see exactly what I'm putting in the tank.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Larry View Post
    All of the fuel pickups on the sending units I have seen have a screen or sock over the end to stop anything from entering the fuel line - there is a possibility that the seal could stop fuel flow, but I believe it is not very likely. I would switch to that tank and get it as empty as possible and then try to fish out the seal. You may have to pull the tank to get it out. I always empty my Ring Free into an empty Sta-Bil bottle. That way I can measure however many ounces I need and can see exactly what I'm putting in the tank.
    That is the exact same method I use for putting ring free in my boat. good luck to the OP.

10. Member
    .[QUOTE I always empty my Ring Free into an empty Sta-Bil bottle. That way I can measure however many ounces I need and can see exactly what I'm putting in the tank. ][/QUOTE]

I do the same. One for Ring Free one for Sea Foam.
    2007 Skeeter 21i 300HDPI

thanx...got a marine mechanic who told me not to worry...would float and chances it would block intake are like 1 in 10,000 and would require leaving maybe 3 gallons in the tank with the quarter sized tin foil seal....

anyway I am ignoring it until Dec as of now...then draining it down to maybe 10 gallons or less...taking to dealer to drain tank and remove foil...so chances are zero...never again will I fail to remove the tin foil a few feet from the boat and toss it in the trash upon purchase!!

(this thread can be deleted now)

12. Member
    the most I would do is remove the float for the fuel tank look in the tank to see if you can see it if you can and use a tube on the end of a suction ball and retrieve it other then that I would leave it don't think it will do anything you have screens on the fuel pickup and that is what there for to stop debris from getting to the fuel pump /engine

Had similar thing happen with the rubber seal in a 5 gallon gas can cap...it stuck to end of spout and when I poured fuel into tank, it plopped into the filler tube and went straight into tank!
    I removed the four screws that hold the fuel gauge/sending unit harness mounted to top of tank and set it aside...then used a flashlight to locate the rubber piece in tank and retrieved it with one of those grabber tools, that are used in tight spots to retrieve dropped nuts/bolts/tools...pick one up at auto parts store that will reach the bottom of your tank...wiggle the boat slightly to get the fuel to slosh around so the foil piece moves around til you locate it and grab it...

Dealer got the RingFree tin foil circle out today!!!
    I burned gas down to about 12 gallons or so...made his job very easy he said, no siphoning...much relief...

Never again will I get with 5 feet of the gas line w/o removing completely any additive "seal" ...

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reelman View Post
    Dealer got the RingFree tin foil circle out today!!!
    I burned gas down to about 12 gallons or so...made his job very easy he said, no siphoning...much relief...

Never again will I get with 5 feet of the gas line w/o removing completely any additive "seal" ...

Gal to hear that you have gotten rid of the foil. thanks for the update .

16. Member
    1 less thang